ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MaidSafe - The new decentralized Internet

(1/3) > >>

Edvard:
I admit, this idea struck me as odd at best and 'pie-in-the-sky' at worst, but the basic gist is to create a network intended to replace the internet that is completely decentralized, paid for by users' spare hard drive space, and is completely encrypted.  This goes beyond darknets and meshnets, and... well... read the FAQs, check out the article, watch the video, decide for yourself.

The Server Needs To Die To Save The Internet

“What we’re building is software that connects together all the computers on the network to form — think of it as one giant computer, or effectively one giant cyber brain. So it really connects together all the nodes on the network and allows them to effectively become a very large datacenter, without of course the datacenter,” explains Lambert. “It’s a network infrastructure that will replace datacenters — and hopefully large technology companies.”

That’s right. This startup wants to reconfigure the current Internet hierarchy too — pulling the power and centre of gravity away from the owners of the biggest datacenters and platforms, and putting it back in the hands of individual users.

--- End quote ---

TechCrunch Write-up: http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/23/maidsafe/
Home page: http://maidsafe.net/

from CodeProject News

40hz:
Reminds me a little of FidoNet's concept. Which makes it a step in the right direction in my book.

Of course, it'll only be as secure as it's encryption methodology. And we know what we're up against with that 'poisoned well' thanks to Snowden spilling the beans. And as long as the powers that be are logging everything it's not exactly what you'd call fully stealthed. But it will make the task of those opposed to local control and personal privacy that much more difficult.

Of course there's nothing to stop MaidSafe from being compromised (local nodes infected with a government spybot for example) or honeypotted since there will be sloppy devs and node owners who don't understand or can't be bothered to RTFM. Less an issue while it's mostly übergeek. But once the masses pile on, it's a problem that will eventually surface.

Still, anything effort on this front is better than nothing. And who knows? Maybe that famous old story about Nasrudin and how "the horse will talk" just might come true here.

MaidSafe - The new decentralized Internet

Fingers crossed! 8) :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Funny... I was actually going to post about Maidsafe! :)

This goes beyond darknets and meshnets,
-Edvard (July 27, 2014, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really... Maidsafe isn't Hyperboria (CJDNS). I think you're mixing some of this up a bit.

Just to clarify:

DARKNET: What this is varies, but ultimately boils down to using existing infrastructure. That infrastructure is used with encryption protocols to obfuscate identity or otherwise anonymise users. This is often over Tor, but not always.

MESHNET: This is more along the lines of Hyperboria or similar technologies. It's an infrastructure for communications. See here: http://www.reddit.com/r/hyperboria/

Maidsafe can use a meshnet or the normal Internet. The network infrastructure isn't really an issue (IIRC).

So, for example...

You have a communications infrastructure, like Hyerboria/CJDNS, and run a Darknet service over top of that, like Tor or I2P, then store data anonymously anonymously (doubled - once for the Darkent service, then again for Maidsafe) using Maidsafe.

Maidsafe adds in a new aspect to the equation that isn't Darknet (Tor/I2P), and isn't MeshNet (CJDNS), but is something entirely new that fits right on top of all that other wonderfully crypto-anarchical goodness! ;D 8)

I've been following it off and on for a while. I'm still trying to figure out some of it, but I think that I really just need to read the API documentation.

For a badass example of Maidsafe:

You can see file storage, file sharing, and real time chat there. :O Yeah... bad. ass.

The new "Hello World!" application should be amended to "Hello World! Welcome to crypto-anarchy!" Because that's what the new generations (plural) of applications will be.

Crypto-anarchy is winning, and will win. The effort to encrypt compared to the effort to decrypt without keys is disproportionate in many, many orders of magnitude.

I came across a gambling site that was provably fair. I saw that the encryption was relatively weak and decided to see if I could game the site. I crunched the numbers. Nope. Not doable. I know how to crack the cryptography on that site, but, it simply cannot be done sanely. It would cost far too much.

People would do well to look into crypto-anarchy and find out what it is and what it means. I'll skip that as it is a topic best left to the Basement.

Renegade:
Still, anything effort on this front is better than nothing.
-40hz (July 27, 2014, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do I detect a hint of hope and optimism? 8)

--- End quote ---

You and me both! ;)

40hz:
Still, anything effort on this front is better than nothing.
--- End quote ---

Do I detect a hint of hope and optimism? 8)

--- End quote ---

You and me both! ;)
-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL! I'm eternally optimistic. Wouldn't be alive or still have a sense of humor if I didn't.  ;D

That said (you just  knew this was coming... ;)

For a badass example of Maidsafe:
You can see file storage, file sharing, and real time chat there. :O Yeah... bad. ass.
-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Less "bad ass" to my eyes than it is more the ever predictable kiddie bad-boy behavior you tend to see with this sort of thing. Oh well...let the food court and coffee shop 'revolutionaries' have their fun I suppose.

Crypto-anarchy is winning, and will win.
-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Um...not to be a downer, but I think that's a little premature. Crypto-anarchy (as a movement) has yet to fight it's first real battle, let alone see hope for a lasting victory. Right now, it's little more than a minor annoyance to the powers that be, and not much more than an RPG for most of those who style themselves crypto-anarchists.

But not to fear. It will start getting seriously interesting soon enough. :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version