ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kidney stones and Beer!

(1/3) > >>

Cuffy:
I subscribe to health newsletters.

One has a report that kidney stones can get as big as ping pong balls!!!

I had a friend that passed some kidney stones.

He was NOT a happy camper.

Today I bring big tidings and great joy!!!!!!

"On the other hand, people who reported drinking beer and wine frequently had a 41 percent and 33 percent lower risk of developing stones respectively than people who did not consume the alcoholic beverages."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sugary-drinks-might-raise-kidney-stone-risk-but-beer-may-help/

(don't thank me, please, .... it was nothing... :-[

Edvard:
The two best things you can do for kidney stones is stay hydrated and avoid eating too much spinach and salt.  I had a 2.1mm kidney stone and it felt like I had been stabbed with an elephant tusk.  It may be that some by-product from fermentation in wine and beer have an effect on kidney stone formation, but I'd like to see more research, especially as there are a few different types of stones you can get.

I don't imbibe, so I just keep myself well-hydrated.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
"On the other hand, people who reported drinking beer and wine frequently had a 41 percent and 33 percent lower risk of developing stones respectively than people who did not consume the alcoholic beverages."-Cuffy (July 26, 2014, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shit, in that case I'll never get one. :beerchug:

Cuffy:
When I read that newsletter and saw "pingpong ball size stones" my eyes popped, I remembered my friend, some cold sweats, lots of screaming, and I wondered what they had prescribed to make him pass his stones.
My imagination got there first and the only thing that came to mind was a quarter pound of Comp-C and a long fuse!
seems like a good time to get some facts.....?
Google turned up the bit about the beer and I thought the tenant brewmasters here would appreciate the ammunition when mama screamed "quit drinking that damned home brew, you're gonna get kidney stones". It's always nice to have an extra clip of ammo!
.. besides, it's always nice to share........ :-[

:D

Cuffy:
Edvard,

Thanks for your input here........ no salt and no spinach gives me some ammo. My doc took me off salt years ago because of high blood pressure. But the spinach, she's (I've got a female doctor) got that at the top of the list for my diet. Maybe with this for ammo I can't cut out the spinach.  Maybe not though.... she's into this you are what you eat bit, supplements, fish oil capsules, yecch. Some of those things aren't fit for human consumption, I don't think.
I'm thinking of changing doctors anyway. With all the chit-chat about colon problems and  prostate problems I chose a female doctor when I had to change the last time. Females usually have smaller hands and shorter fingers so it was a no-brainer for me. Keep as comfortable as possible was the name of the game and I thought I'd made a good choice.
Now I'm not so sure! Initially all these exams were part of an annual physical but then she started scheduling a prostate exam once a month. Now we're up to once a week!
I'm just not sure how much longer I can stand the gaffe??? :-[

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version