ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Simple Utility to find the value of a specific key in Windows Registry

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
^ What he said.

I guess if you want to ensure that all machines are always at the same update "level" you could push them manually but I would have thought there was an easier way.

questorfla:
Yeah, me too.  That was why I was reading MS KB's.  I normally don't get much from them.
Onedrive (as a valid resource) is still in flux.  Most of it is rehashed SharePoint only worse.

They don't spell that out well.

I agree this is more an exercise is letting off some steam in the fast that this is exactly what the KB tells you to do.
A normal user is expected to open Regedit and go tooling around looking for a registry entry with NO idea how or what might happen if they "oops  hit that space bar" before they exit.
Regedit needing no "Save"
Skwire requested a pm of the details so I did not post further back here but the fact the MS has two complete different PM's to tell someone how to update their client for Onedrive, with neither of them excluding the use of the other.  And the one that tells you HOW to know if you need and Update as well as what to do if you need one is written such that I was ready to give up before I got through the 4th paragraph.
But ..I had to at least see if it was a private MS joke.
Apparently not.  The need to Know is Real IF you  have any intention of using Onedrive.  If not.  Then it isn't worth tie electrons it takes up in cyberspace.

Tanks 4wd.  I realize that without the KB numbers to see what I am speaking of it  doesn't make much sense.  I really thought I posted the actual links to the MS KB's  I meant to.  Right now I am deep into another weird problem with a Wi-Fi thing. 
Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't related to MS as well!! >:(

PS:  For Skwire;  If the post I sent also did not capture the links I can try again.
What you are offering is far  more than I expected, even if they know the contents of that key, the best I can do is tell them
"If Skwire's gadget says you are an "008C" they click HERE and make the HERE be the link to the right update.

By the way, the updates themselves are 3 pages long as it appears when you finaly find the right one, you also then have to tell MS what LANGUAGE you speak just to get the correct update. :tellme:

skwire:
PS:  For Skwire;  If the post I sent also did not capture the links I can try again.
What you are offering is far  more than I expected, even if they know the contents of that key, the best I can do is tell them
"If Skwire's gadget says you are an "008C" they click HERE and make the HERE be the link to the right update.-questorfla (July 18, 2014, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is the expectation that the users will perform their own updates?  Or, is the expectation that the users run this utility and report the value back to you and you will perform the updates?  The reason I ask is that the three links leading from the https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2936613 page are really next to useless.  If you don't trust them to be able to get a single registry value on their own, I can't see how you can expect them to perform this update on their own.

Again, I need you answer the following questions:

1) Can you post or PM me the actual string you have?  If possible, I'd love to see several examples from your users.
2) What do you want the app to do/display?

I'm happy to write this utility for you but, sometimes, it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff in your posts, so I need you to be as concise as possible in your answers.

skwire:
I'm going to be out of town for the week so here is the utility as it stands.  If you want more functionality out of it, I need you to answer my questions in the post above.

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/snacks/OneDriveKeyChecker.zip

questorfla:
I am not sure how to make it any clearer so perhaps this is an exercise in futility.
By the time you get this one working , MS will have changed it again anyway. 
The whole month of July was nothing but one crash after another.
Not just ME saying that, the MS forums are FULL of PO'ed people.

At this point, i was more interested in your little tool for other things anyway.
If it can display various messages depending upon the values located at specific points in the registry I might be able to put it to better use later.

This specific update only affects the 40 people i have to deal with and I feel bad enough already that you went to all that trouble to create this for such a trivial (and Temporary) issue.
What I was going to do was have it display the link direct to the update that would be indicated by the values at that location.
My own values being 008C I would have made display the hyper link direct to the update needed for people with 008C and so on for the other two possibilities.
but to be honest, this whole thing is an exercise in futility, especially after all the crashes this month.
I  have been tellig people the BEST thing to do is completely UN install ALL  of the  MS Office suite (yep, there is a "Fix-it" download to do just that)
THEN go back and do a FULL installation to ensure they get the Latest of every part.

This might last a whole month before MS tears it up again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version