ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

C# Rename file with incrementing number - file (1).ext

(1/1)

Renegade:
I've seen people posting code snippets, so here's one...

I was looking around for a way to increment a file name, and didn't come across anything that really worked all that well except for 1 that kind of worked. I've bolstered it up a bit & made it more robust.

Problem:

You want to quickly save file.ext, but not overwrite an existing file with that name. Obviously you want to add an increment for the file name: 1, 2, 3, etc. So you end up with something like this in a folder:

file.ext
file (1).ext
file (2).ext
etc.

Snippet:

This is a bit sloppy in a few places, but it's good enough.

NOTE: This comes out of writing some transcoding software, so the signature there is to allow passing in a file name along with a new file name extension, which is a bit sloppy for general purposes. Basically, you can change the file extension by passing in a different "ext" parameter.

If you don't want a new file extension, simply pass in an empty string for "ext".

--- Code: C# ---/// <summary>/// A function to add an incremented number at the end of a file name if a file already exists. /// </summary>/// <param name="file">The file. This should be the complete path.</param>/// <param name="ext">This can be empty.</param>/// <returns>An incremented file name. </returns>private string AppendFileNumberIfExists(string file, string ext){        // This had a VB tidbit that helped to get this started.         // http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/212217/increment-filename-if-file-exists-using-csharp         // If the file exists, then do stuff. Otherwise, we just return the original file name.        if (File.Exists(file)) {                string folderPath = Path.GetDirectoryName(file); // The path to the file. No sense in dealing with this unecessarily.                 string fileName = Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(file); // The file name with no extension.                 string extension = string.Empty; // The file extension.                 // This lets us pass in an empty string for the file extension if required. i.e. It just makes this function a bit more versatile.                 if (ext == string.Empty) {                         extension = Path.GetExtension(file);                }                else {                        extension = ext;                }                 // at this point, find out if the fileName ends in a number, then get that number.                int fileNumber = 0; // This stores the number as a number for us.                 // need a regex here - \(([0-9]+)\)$                Regex r = new Regex(@"\(([0-9]+)\)$"); // This matches the pattern we are using, i.e. ~(#).ext                Match m = r.Match(fileName); // We pass in the file name with no extension.                string addSpace = " "; // We'll add a space when we don't have our pattern in order to pad the pattern.                if (m.Success) {                        addSpace = string.Empty; // We have the pattern, so we don't add a space - it has already been added.                         string s = m.Groups[1].Captures[0].Value; // This is the single capture that we are looking for. Stored as a string.                        // set fileNumber to the new number.                        fileNumber = int.Parse(s); // Convert the number to an int.                        // remove the numbering from the string as we're constructing it again below.                        fileName = fileName.Replace("(" + s + ")", "");                }                                                 // Start looping.                 do                {                        fileNumber += 1; // Increment the file number that we have above.                         file = Path.Combine(folderPath, // Combine it all.                                                String.Format("{0}{3}({1}){2}", // The pattern to combine.                                                                          fileName,         // The file name with no extension.                                                                           fileNumber,       // The file number.                                                                          extension,        // The file extension.                                                                          addSpace));       // A space if needed to pad the initial ~(#).ext pattern.                        }                while (File.Exists(file)); // As long as the file name exists, keep looping.         }        return file;}
Just one of those typical jobs that nobody should have to bother doing again.

ghendric:
This version works pretty good too.

--- Code: C# ---private string GetNextFileName(string fileName) {            string extension = Path.GetExtension(fileName);            string pathName = Path.GetDirectoryName(fileName);            string fileNameOnly = Path.Combine(pathName, Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(fileName));            int i = 0;            // If the file exists, keep trying until it doesn't            while (File.Exists(fileName)) {                i += 1;                fileName = string.Format("{0}({1}){2}", fileNameOnly, i, extension);            }            return fileName;        }

Ath:
This version works pretty good too.
-ghendric (February 02, 2016, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not if a path is prepended to the filename... :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version