ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Moore's Law Dead by 2022, Expert Says

<< < (3/4) > >>

Vurbal:
Ultimately, it seems to me the future is the continued transformation of components and processors which control peripherals to a pure heirarchy of integrated, but discrete "computers," much like modern networking has been transformed into a heirarchy of contextual peers and servers.

The technology for this is already being used to affect fairly dramatic improvements in server performance. I'm referring to the amazing high end, multiport, PCIe server network cards. They achieve near independence from both the OS and underlying CPU control, even going so far as heuristic (I'm guessing) determination of which physical CPU's PCIe interface to send traffic across.

40hz:
I think the thing that may ultimately do it is the widespread adoption of "good enough" restricted platform tablet devices by the majority of the public.

And as a result, the future limits of this technology will be increasingly determined by politics rather than genuine "technical" roadblocks.

I think most big companies, and government in general, would be very happy if the personal and open computing platform - as we have heretofore known it -  just went away. Far too much power in the hands of the masses. And far too many opportunities for innovation - which then leads to competition against established mainline firms from 'untrusted' and 'upstart' competitors.

Not building real personal computers negates the need for better and faster chips. Not developing better and faster chips destroys the opportunity to design better and more powerful personal computers. QED.

"If you don't build it, they can't come." to paraphrase Shoeless Joe. 8)

Renegade:
Right now I have 13 processes taking up more than 100 MB of RAM. This is just crazy.-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be nice...
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Deozaan (July 28, 2014, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha!

It's called 'closing tabs'. Try it sometime! ;D

I used to be really bad at that, but finally managed to discipline myself to start closing tabs and windows. 15 Chrome windows open with 10, 20, 50 tabs open? Nuts. But, but... I might NEED to open one of those again! And... I found myself searching through countless windows & tabs to actually find something when it would have been faster to just open a new tab and navigate back to the page. I still have 30 tabs open right now, but I'm a heck of a lot better than I used to be.

Chrome will suck up every bit of memory that it can. It's just a greedy memory hog.

Renegade:
And as a result, the future limits of this technology will be increasingly determined by politics rather than genuine "technical" roadblocks.
-40hz (July 28, 2014, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sadly, that is likely to happen.

I think most big companies, and government in general, would be very happy if the personal and open computing platform - as we have heretofore known it -  just went away. Far too much power in the hands of the masses. And far too many opportunities for innovation - which then leads to competition against established mainline firms from 'untrusted' and 'upstart' competitors.
-40hz (July 28, 2014, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

It will likely go the same way as the automobile with incremental regulation a drop at a time. It will resemble one of those "pen dot" drawings where the artist merely makes dots on the paper. Each dot is nothing more than a dot until you zoom out far enough to see the entire picture.

Any for those of us that scream and kick and fuss about each dot, we'll be ridiculed because "it's only a dot" and we're "conspiracy theorists"... until the picture is made full and people finally wake up and realise that they are looking at their own prison funeral.

Death by a thousand pin pricks.

eleman:
Considering that my 3.4GHz Pentium 4 HT from 2005 is still able to reliably perform all of the basic computing tasks- internet, email, media playing, and storing personal data, I believe technology has reached a plateau where simply increasing the performance is no longer enough to bring about another radial change in how people use this type of equipment.

Now its just a game of making it cheaper and more energy efficient, while the market is saturating because there is far less of an incentive to upgrade all the time than there used to be.
-SeraphimLabs (July 28, 2014, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming you had replaced your 90 watt prescott p4 with a 45 watt core 2 sometime in 2009, and assuming you use the computer on an average of 4 hours a day, you'd have recouped the cost of the new processor by now through the electricity bill (here we pay something like .2 dollars per kW/h). You really need to replace that intel branded space heater :)

Right now I have 13 processes taking up more than 100 MB of RAM. This is just crazy.-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be nice...
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Deozaan (July 28, 2014, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha!

It's called 'closing tabs'. Try it sometime! ;D
-Renegade (July 29, 2014, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

And experiment with outsourcing the gmail tab to a dedicated browser such as ie. My firefox would grow and grow to 1.5 GB ram use, at which point it would be unusable. Now I use ie for gmail, and firefox for all the rest. Neither one will grow to unmanageable sizes. Gmail is one of the worst offenders in ram use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version