ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Moore's Law Dead by 2022, Expert Says

<< < (2/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I remember, perhaps 15 years ago, my older brother telling me that someday we'd reach a point where the CPU's hz wouldn't matter anymore because it would eventually be so high that any further increase wouldn't give us any practical improvement. He guessed that advances in RAM (both amount of RAM and speed of RAM) would be the next deciding factor in PC speeds for the consumer.

It seems we've pretty much met his first prediction. IMO RAM is approaching that point as well. What I mean by that is it seems it won't be long until we can have so much RAM in our systems that we won't do ourselves any good to put more in them. At least for desktop machines. Mobile devices still could use more.

Then again, mobile devices could still use more of just about everything, as it's harder to fit the more powerful things inside the smaller cases and also deal with heat/battery issues. But that's improving as well. (c:

Gotta love the progress of technology.

x16wda:
Then again, mobile devices could still use more of just about everything, as it's harder to fit the more powerful things inside the smaller cases and also deal with heat/battery issues.
-Deozaan (July 26, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bingo. I think battery and mobile device power technology is begging for "an exponential" to ride for awhile.  Where's Nikola Tesla when you really need him??

Renegade:
I remember, perhaps 15 years ago, my older brother telling me that someday we'd reach a point where the CPU's hz wouldn't matter anymore because it would eventually be so high that any further increase wouldn't give us any practical improvement. He guessed that advances in RAM (both amount of RAM and speed of RAM) would be the next deciding factor in PC speeds for the consumer.

It seems we've pretty much met his first prediction. IMO RAM is approaching that point as well. What I mean by that is it seems it won't be long until we can have so much RAM in our systems that we won't do ourselves any good to put more in them. At least for desktop machines. Mobile devices still could use more.
-Deozaan (July 26, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder about that. Developers seem to love soaking up more and more resources as they become available. Take Chrome or Firefox for example... 1 GB for 1 process? Really? I only wish I were kidding... Just for example, I checked right now... not doing anything special and not trying to use memory - just as things are...

1.7 GB!?!

Right now I have 13 processes taking up more than 100 MB of RAM. This is just crazy.

Deozaan:
Right now I have 13 processes taking up more than 100 MB of RAM. This is just crazy.-Renegade (July 27, 2014, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be nice...

Moore's Law Dead by 2022, Expert Says

SeraphimLabs:
Servers will always benefit from faster CPUs and more RAM.

Improvements in CPU and RAM for servers translates to either more clients served, or a smaller server in general because the growth of the technology has exceeded the growth rate of the transactions being processed.

For desktops though, the resource usage has indeed slowed down considerably, due in no small part to the 32/64 bit changeover holding back a lot of software.

Considering that my 3.4GHz Pentium 4 HT from 2005 is still able to reliably perform all of the basic computing tasks- internet, email, media playing, and storing personal data, I believe technology has reached a plateau where simply increasing the performance is no longer enough to bring about another radial change in how people use this type of equipment.

Now its just a game of making it cheaper and more energy efficient, while the market is saturating because there is far less of an incentive to upgrade all the time than there used to be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version