ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > BrowserTraySwitch

Does BrowserTraySwitch work on Win 8.1 x64?

(1/2) > >>

RichTWebGuy:
I'm not having luck.  It makes the .btsregfile files, but picking a different browser using the tray icon doesn't seem to do anything.

mouser:
BrowserTraySwitch hasn't gotten much attention from me in the recent years.. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with Windows 8, but it's possible that it doesn't..  If someone can confirm that it doesn't work, and has some insight into why the default browser registry settings wouldn't be effecting windows 8, I'm happy to update it.

RichTWebGuy:
Maybe someone who has used it can tell us something.  I hadn't used previously so I didn't get to see it work.  I made 2 different browsers be the default, got the 2 btsregfile files and when I do the tray switch, the icon changes, but it doesn't seem to make the system refresh. i.e. when I start a browser and make it be the default (via the browser menu), usually I see the desktop icons refresh, and so forth. But when I use BTS, there's no obvious change.

mouser:
but it doesn't seem to make the system refresh. i.e. when I start a browser and make it be the default (via the browser menu), usually I see the desktop icons refresh, and so forth. But when I use BTS, there's no obvious change.
--- End quote ---

That's interesting -- i've recently come across the signals i am supposed to trigger when such a system change is made, and i'm not sure i send them when BTW triggers..  That would be easy enough to add.

However, first things first -- can you figure out if BTS doesn't work at all on Windows 8 -- that is when you change browser with BTS, do NEWLY LAUNCHED PROGRAMS open stuff using the changed browser?

Or is it that BTS works, but existing programs which were running when BTS makes a change don't see the change?

RichTWebGuy:
for me -- it doesn't seem to work.  Using BTS, I made IE be the default yesterday and have rebooted machine.  I run BTS today and the IE icon is in the tray, but my default browser is still chrome.  Clicking on a desktop URL shortcut starts chrome. 

If I get a chance I'll see if I can try this on a Win7 machine - make sure I understand the process and see it work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version