ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google designing the font of the future

<< < (2/5) > >>

Curt:
Thank you, Ed, for giving the right link for Android users. However, it is not my impression that these fonts will do well in a textual document on a large desktop monitor - they look so awful here, that I already am planing to remove them again.

Also Thank You for writing when push comes to shove; I can't remember ever reading that phrase before!

when push comes to shove
English Phrase
    (idiomatic) When the pressure is on; when the situation is critical or urgent; when the time has come for action, even if it is difficult-wiktionary
--- End quote ---

Normally I hate Google. Mainly because I quite often will want the oldest version  (= the original version) of a file, and Google refuses to look for it. But the Internet includes so many misquotes, and falsified pictures, or stolen material, and if the oldest file not is available, how will we ever know that we are not being lied to? Google is in some areas doing far more bad, than good. Oops! I did it again! Sorry for going astray. I like these fonts, but something about them is not yet perfect.

MilesAhead:
Sometimes when posting I feel like I'm using the font of the future.  The typos don't show up until after I hit the Post Button.  

40hz:
Thank you, Ed, for giving the right link for Android users. However, it is not my impression that these fonts will do well in a textual document on a large desktop monitor - they look so awful here, that I already am planing to remove them again.
-Curt (July 17, 2014, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess it's one of those YMMV things. Running under Linux on a laptop @ 1600 x 900 screen resolution, it looks more than acceptable to me. Here's a screenshot from LibreOffice Writer. It's running default style with no text format tweaking. This is RobotoRegular at 12pt:

The screenshot is noticeably fuzzier than the text displays in Libre. Inside the wordprocessor it's very sharp and clear. I coud see using it in FocusWriter or Libre for drafts. Haven't seen what it looks like printed since I'm out of toner right now. I'd better do an office supplies run real soon... ;D

40hz:
Sometimes when posting I feel like I'm using the font of the future.  The typos don't show up until after I hit the Post Button. 

-MilesAhead (July 17, 2014, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL! However, on an iPhone that would be considered a feature. Their spellcheck has a mind of its own. :tellme:

40hz:
something about them is not yet perfect.
-Curt (July 17, 2014, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you want font perfection, look no further (IMO) than Hermann Zapf 's Optima (as well as almost all his other typefaces); Robert Slimbach's Minion and Myriad; and Rudolf Ruzicka's Fairfield, Lake Informal, Transitional 551, and Ruzicka Freehand.

8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version