topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Simple Podcast Player with 30 second skip feature.  (Read 10060 times)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know there are a few small simple audio players for windows but what I find lacking is the ability to skip 30 seconds ahead or back. It would be great if the skip time could be defined i.e. 5, 10, 20 seconds ect.

I listen to a lot of audio podcasts on my Android phone. My player of choice allows skipping in defined increments. I record and download podcasts onto my desktop computer and would like to be able to skip past the boring parts and continue to the parts that interest me. A slider control is not very accurate.

Some windows players have this feature but you have to push a combo of keys to get a simple skip. I would like to push a button on the player or simply define a single key for the action. The keyboard is not very important as having the feature part of the onscreen player.

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Simple Podcast Player with 30 second skip feature.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I can do this one.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43 PM »
I can do this one.

I am not sure if this would be a simple addition to the Trout player.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:02 PM »
-wetsmellydog (July 16, 2014, 09:43 PM)

Nah, this will be a standalone file player (based on my Looper app)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32 PM »
-wetsmellydog (July 16, 2014, 09:43 PM)

Well, now you have me thinking.  Currrently, in Trout, you can set a custom seek jump interval and then use the corresponding skip forward and skip backward buttons.  Is that good enough?

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Well, now you have me thinking.  Currrently, in Trout, you can set a custom seek jump interval and then use the corresponding skip forward and skip backward buttons.  Is that good enough?

I just downloaded the current version and found the programmable skip feature. Works like a charm!

One other feature that I did not think about but just thought of as I was trying out Trout again, is a bookmark feature to resume where the podcast left off. One of the podcasts is three hours long (hence the fast forward need!) if I hit stop instead of pause, I would need to find the spot that I stopped at.
This of course is more of a question of possibility than a request. I get to fall in love with Trout all over again!

Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:16 AM »
I just downloaded the current version and found the programmable skip feature. Works like a charm!
-wetsmellydog (July 16, 2014, 11:33 PM)

Ah, great.  =]

One other feature that I did not think about but just thought of as I was trying out Trout again, is a bookmark feature to resume where the podcast left off.
-wetsmellydog (July 16, 2014, 11:33 PM)

Trout has a Resume playback on startup option which remembers the last position.  Maybe that is enough for your needs?

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:41 AM »
Trout has a Resume playback on startup option which remembers the last position.  Maybe that is enough for your needs?

If I click the stop button, it does not remember where I was. The progress bar clears back to zero. If I hit the pause button and close, it does not remember where I was. Now I am getting an error when closing "Error saving list contents". (Windows 7). I received the error both with and without the resume box being checked.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 12:46 AM »
If I click the stop button, it does not remember where I was. The progress bar clears back to zero. If I hit the pause button and close, it does not remember where I was. Now I am getting an error when closing "Error saving list contents". (Windows 7). I received the error both with and without the resume box being checked.
-wetsmellydog (July 17, 2014, 12:41 AM)

Either run Trout with administrator rights or run it from a folder that is not UAC protected.  Once you do that, try the resume playback feature again.

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Either run Trout with administrator rights or run it from a folder that is not UAC protected.  Once you do that, try the resume playback feature again.

Yep that did the trick. Ran as Admin and did not receive any error messages. Paused playback, closed, opened and voila, back to the spot I paused at.

I guess I need to explore some of the features to programs that I already use. Trout was always my go to program for just listening to music stored on my computer. Since the advent of smart phones, I use that feature much less.

Thanks for all your help as always.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Yep that did the trick. Ran as Admin and did not receive any error messages. Paused playback, closed, opened and voila, back to the spot I paused at.
-wetsmellydog (July 17, 2014, 08:03 AM)

Great to hear and I'm glad I was able to anticipate your future Trout needs.  Hahahaha.   :P

Thanks for all your help as always.
-wetsmellydog (July 17, 2014, 08:03 AM)

You are very welcome.  I'll mark this thread as solved.