ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Android: Looking for true app data backup solution

(1/3) > >>

nite_monkey:
I'm looking for an app or method to backup both my apps, and my app data. I have a nexus 5, so I don't have an sd card option to backup to. I do however has stickmount, so I could backup to a usb drive. Though, it would be nice if I had the option to backup to a folder on my google drive. I have tried various apps, and they all seem to only know how to backup just the app, and not its data. (meaning, I lose all my progress on any games I have.) I've heard Titanium backup is supposed to be able to backup both the apps, and their data, but when I tried it, it only backed up the apps, and then when I went to restore my backup, it just installed each app one by one, and without the app's data.

Does anyone know of a good free (or free with premium option) app that will actually backup my apps and their data? My phone is rooted, is there some folder that has all of my apps' data that I can just backup?

Carol Haynes:
Yes please too!

superboyac:
I also have a nexus 5, and I've gone through this.  Here's my story...

The two apps I use for this sort of stuff:
ROM Toolbox
Titanium Backup

ROM Toolbox is definitely the more versatile program and the one to get if you're only going to get one.   It can do everything Titanium does basically, and much more. However, Titanium is sometimes preferred in specific situations.

ROM Toolbox can backup your apps, app data, system apps, etc.  So can Titanium.  But Titanium can keep multiple copies of backups, which is really the only thing it does better.  When I'm restoring just a single app, I go to titanium (no good reason).

Now, all this aside, it's easy to screw up an intended backup/restore procedure when you are installing a new ROM or something.  Things don't restore the way you expect, settings are gone, etc.  And it's not always easy to figure out why.  So here comes...

"Nandroid"
Nandroid, is like a noun/verb (very confusing) that basically means an image of your phone.  You can only do a Nandroid outside of the OS (like in twrp or cwm).  THis is definitely my preferred restoring method.  When I restore my system (all apps, settings, anything) using a Nandroid, everything restores perfectly.  If I try to restore within android using titanium or ROM toolbox doesn't work nearly as well.

So how do you make a nandroid?  From ROM toolbox, you backup your ROM.  It will reboot and do it automatically.

Hope that helps.

nite_monkey:
I use twrp. Is there a way to backup to a usb drive (via an OTG cable) since the N5 doesn't have external storage? The only problem with a nandroid backup is that I want to be able to "copy" all my apps and data to a different rom, which I can't do with a nandroid backup. I was reading that titanium backup can restore from twrp backups. I suppose if I can ever get titanium to actually backup the data, it might be an option.

superboyac:
I use twrp. Is there a way to backup to a usb drive (via an OTG cable) since the N5 doesn't have external storage? The only problem with a nandroid backup is that I want to be able to "copy" all my apps and data to a different rom, which I can't do with a nandroid backup. I was reading that titanium backup can restore from twrp backups. I suppose if I can ever get titanium to actually backup the data, it might be an option.
-nite_monkey (July 14, 2014, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know of a direct way to do the usb thing.  But I have a couple of workarounds.  You can just manually transfer the file over with a file manager.  Another way is to use something like BTSync and it will automatically sync a folder on your phone to one on your computer when they are near each other (bluetooth or wifi).

But if I'm not mistaken, you may still be able to restore your apps with ROM toolbox (with a nandroid backup file) even if it's a different rom.  because there's an option for apps, apps and data, or system apps, or everything I think.  I've only tried it on the same rom but different versions, and it worked fine.

Apps restore fine with titanium from my experiences.  But the system stuff doesn't work well, even though it claims it does.  LIke accounts, customized rom settings, custom system apps and settings, they normally don't work well at all except with nandroid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version