ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Extra Credits: Propaganda Games & Why Games Do Cthulhu Wrong

<< < (4/4)

Deozaan:
This is slightly off-topic, but still about the Extra Credits series:

You also gotta love their "surfer dude, far out, bodacious, Keanu Reeves-esque game reviewer" series James Recommends:

wraith808:
In short, you can't fight Cthulhu. Cthulhu is the failure state. If Cthulhu appears, the game is over.
-40hz (July 22, 2014, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.  Definitely this.  In my Call of Cthulhu games, the scenarios were around the plot of dealing with the unknowable- never about dealing with the aftermath when they are knowable because they are here.  Game over if that happens.

app103:
This is why the original Grimm's fairy tails - which really were - got touched up a bit and given happy endings. Because cautionary tales don't have to be aphoristic and horrifying.
-Stoic Joker (July 22, 2014, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

As a child, I actually liked those horrifying stories and one of my prized possessions was an antique fairy tale book, given to me by my grandmother. That's right, no cleaned up G-rated stuff for me. I left that Disneyfied junk for my over-sensitive little sister.

In my favorite version of Cinderella, the ugly stepsisters cut off their heels and tried to cram their bloody foot into the shoe.

Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother was eaten by the wolf and didn't run out of the house to go get the woodsman.

In my favorite version of the Little Mermaid, she's a young child, infatuated with an adult that won't give her the time of day (for obvious reasons), and she chooses to die at the end, rather than kill him.

Not a love struck teen going after someone her own age (or only slightly older), who at the end gets and marries the prince and lives happily ever after.

You are supposed to cry at the end of this story, not do a happy dance.

I hate sanitized versions of fairy tales. It's worse than music with the foul language beeped out.

Deozaan:
As a child, I actually liked those horrifying stories and one of my prized possessions was an antique fairy tale book, given to me by my grandmother. That's right, no cleaned up G-rated stuff for me. I left that Disneyfied junk for my over-sensitive little sister.

[...]

You are supposed to cry at the end of this story, not do a happy dance.

I hate sanitized versions of fairy tales. It's worse than music with the foul language beeped out.
-app103 (September 02, 2014, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Something tells me you'd like:

http://rejectedprincesses.com/

app103:
Something tells me you'd like:

http://rejectedprincesses.com/
-Deozaan (September 02, 2014, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I would. Thanks!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index