ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Homebrewing

<< < (4/12) > >>

IainB:
...you show me how to brew a beer better than a pint of Guinness poured from a bar tap and I'll eat my hat.
-mouser (July 20, 2014, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tricky. Home-brewers don't have ready access to what would (for them) probably be a relatively expensive nitrogen infusion process.

Renegade:
...you show me how to brew a beer better than a pint of Guinness poured from a bar tap and I'll eat my hat.
--- End quote ---
Tricky. Home-brewers don't have ready access to what would (for them) probably be a relatively expensive nitrogen infusion process.
-IainB (July 21, 2014, 04:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, you learn something every day! I did wonder how Guinness got that rich head, and I did wonder a bit about widgets, but never really enough to bother looking it up when I could simply taste it. :)

But it appears that it's not really all that expensive. Yes - more than pocket change, and certainly an investment, but not unaffordable.

Looks like they can be had relatively cheaply (under $300):

http://www.kegoutlet.com/homebrew-nitrogen-kits.html
http://www.homebrewing.org/Nitrogen-Keg-Systems_c_413.html

But, there is other equipment that you need to use with those. So, doable if you're into it that much.

I won't be trying it out for a while though. We'll be moving, and I'm avoiding buying anything that I'll have to transport that I don't have to have 110%. I would love to give it a spin though. Sounds like fun!

--- End quote ---

Does that include home bar taps? ;D

Cuffy:
Since war stories seem to be in order and you're going back to the "old" days there are caveats you should be aware of.
Back in the old, old days, during WWII, I was a teenage high school student. Money was hard to come by and a case of 24 bottles of beer was $3.00, as I recall. Bootleggers and home brewers were trying to quench the thirst of a gang of "deprived" teenagers and the usual indulgers in the area.
It came New Years Eve........ of course we had a party planned!
My girlfriend was the barbers daughter, the barber made beer and wine. His oldest son was also a barber and he made beer.
The son lived, and worked, in a town about 20 miles away. This was up on the Canadian border and it was New Years Eve! The snow was butt deep to a tall Indian and with the Northern Lights and all, it was a beautiful night for a party.
Us teenagers pooled our money, headed for the country market where the guy would sell alcohol to minors, spent what we had pooled on "long necks" of Ballantines and pressed on to the son's home some 20 miles away.
Long story short.......... we finished what we had purchased long before New Years arrived leaving us the only alternative of sampling the almost 15 gallons of home brew that my girlfriend's brother had brewing. He informed us that it wasn't quite ready but we were welcome to try it!
Coffee cups were produced and we started dipping into the five gallon crocks he used for brewing vessels.
He was right...... the beer wasn't quite ready but it was drinkable, we had nothing else, and it was New Years Eve.
Several hours later and following the consumption of all the home brew we could drink, the party broke up.
As we stepped outside someone noted the fact that it had snowed several inches while we enjoyed drinking Hermie's beer.
Inches of new powder on top of several feet of old snow. Everything covered with fresh snow..... cars, trees, bushes, driveway.
A beautiful night!
BUT!
As we chatted away, heading across the snow covered porch, Hermie's wife, standing in the open doorway, flicked on the porch light to light our way to the car. Hermie hadn't given it a second  thought when he installed one of those yellow "bug lights" in the porch light. When the light came on it seemed to light up a half acre......... of MUSTARD!
All that snow was the color of French's finest mustard........... tons of it! As we looked around someone exclaimed "MUSTARD" and it was like somebody just uncorked that home brew.......
Home brew goes a long ways when spread over fresh snow, especially when mixed with chips, peanuts, various dips and chunks of cheese. The landscape changed in an instant................ and I'll never forget it!
So beware my friends, and never drink "not done" home brew. It may result in memories that you "can't" forget.

;)

Vurbal:
As much as I love Guinness, if I were to start brewing, the first target on my wishlist would be a German pils like Wernesgruner. I can already get the real thing (at Aldi) for barely more than Budweiser would cost. As a result I've never been particularly motivated.

tomos:
I always thought of home-brewing as being about making a bottled beer (but maybe I'm wrong). Good Guinness on draught is a drink I grew up with and love, but bottled beer is simply a different world - there's such an incredible world of variety out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version