ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Pro

<< < (3/4) > >>

BCHOWDHURY:
Thanks for the reply 4wd.

Innuendo:
Basically, if you can get an 8.1 Pro ISO you can activate, (not install), with an 8.0 key.
-4wd (July 12, 2014, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

And...if you search Google you can find out the documented official Microsoft way to alter your new ISO to not ask for a key when installing. You can then skip it & then enter your legal key once you hit the desktop.

4wd:
^ Neat ... off to do a little Googling ... thanks :)

Ahhh, change it to a Volume License version ... simples!

Cuffy:
I bought Win8 Pro 64 at the initial offering of $39.99. Win Media Center was thrown in free with that offer.
Win Media Center has its own product key and when you install it it changes the Win8 Pro key to reflect the add'n and the machine becomes Windows 8 Pro w/Media Center with a new key.
The update from Windows Store trashed my install of Win8 /WMC because of that different key. There was a lot of chatter and some bad advice floating around on the web but there was some good advice too.
When I got finished I had Win8.1 Pro w/WMC installed and working with a legal activation. The spring update also installed without incident.
Long story short, I'm running an up to date system with Win Media Center and my out of pocket expense is solely the $39.99.

I usually save the web page, rather than a shortcut, and the necessary ISOs are easy to find.
A clean install from an ISO is the only way to go. Stay away from the Windows Store for the update!
If you haven't resolved the problem and have a valid, retail, Win8 Pro 64 product key you can start fresh, get a clean install, and activation will be no problem.

If you want to go that route left me know and I'll round up the info I've ratholed so you get the right instructions and links to the ISOs.

:Thmbsup:

BCHOWDHURY:
Dear Cuffy, I welcome your help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version