ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8 Pro

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
^Same here - and so I've been told. Never really tried to get around it because my clients are all businesses. If anything ever blew up over licensing issues, it would be my head on the block. So even when I do know how to get around activation or authentication controls, my official position is: "I don't know how to do that." If a phone call to Microsoft doesn't get it straightened out, you're SOL AFAIC.

Anybody who doesn't like what Microsoft is doing license or otherwise (and there's a lot not to like) is welcome to let me set them up for Linux. (I've had a few clients that did just that, and have been very happy with Nix and Libre so far.)

FWIW I also have a rule about always paying for the software I use. Or contributing to it if it's a FOSS title. I'll also abide by whatever rules the software author sees fit to impose. If I don't like the deal, I'll just buy something else. Or forget about it completely if there isn't any alternative available. Life is too short to get into a battle over software licensing. Or at least in my universe it is.
 ;D 8)

Stoic Joker:
Yes, but there are always those odd occasions where the OEM media has been lost - or was never provided - and the machine needs to be flattened/reloaded. Previously Dell media has always been the cleanest fallback when paired up with another OEM's COA key. So a totally legal repair that doesn't leave the client hanging for days waiting on a disk, or hemorrhaging stupid money for overnight shipping.

The behavior surrounding 8/8.1 implies that the paying customer must suffer the time/money loss to protect the poor starving corporation... This is simply unacceptable.

40hz:
The behavior surrounding 8/8.1 implies that the paying customer must suffer the time/money loss to protect the poor starving corporation... This is simply unacceptable.
-Stoic Joker (July 10, 2014, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. Hence I prefer to go with the alternative. ;D

there are always those odd occasions where the OEM media has been lost - or was never provided - and the machine needs to be flattened/reloaded.
-Stoic Joker (July 10, 2014, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh I agree. What I meant was going through gyrations to get around doing a regular product activation. Using a valid product key with a different set of installation media isn't going around it in my book. If the product installs and activates (with or without having to call mother in Redmond first) I'd consider that a legitimate and acceptable hack. It's when you start doing registry surgery or "borrowing" keys that I draw the line.

I'm not a boy scout. But I do try to stay legal as much as possible while still getting work done and keeping my clients up and running.

BCHOWDHURY:
Thank you 40hz, 4wd and Stoic Joker for your replies. I have a retail product key because I bought it from Microsoft Store. The problem is that it's Windows 8 Professional x64 key. I am neither able to download Windows 8.1 Pro nor able to activate it. I keep getting the message, this key is for a different version of Windows.

4wd:
I have a retail product key because I bought it from Microsoft Store. The problem is that it's Windows 8 Professional x64 key. I am neither able to download Windows 8.1 Pro nor able to activate it. I keep getting the message, this key is for a different version of Windows.-BCHOWDHURY (July 12, 2014, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's how I got my version of Windows 8 Pro x86 and x64 licenses, from the MS Store.

If you follow the steps given in the post I refer to, (starting at point 1 which refers you to this article at MakeUseOf), you should be able to download a Windows 8.1 Pro ISO.

Looks like the ***holes at MS have neutered that particular form of ISO download now, worked for me when I did it but that was a few months ago.  It might be different if tried from a previous Windows version, (I'm running 8.1 on my netbook so that might be screwing it up), as it says you should.

There's another way but we don't mention BitTorrent around here.  :P

Basically, if you can get an 8.1 Pro ISO you can activate, (not install), with an 8.0 key.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version