ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Malwarebytes self-start problem

<< < (4/11) > >>

bit:
I keep hoping Sandra Bullock's role in 'The Net' will turn out to be legit and that she'll turn up any moment now and solve all our problems.

Shades:
Sounds like your hard disk is failing (as in generating lots of Disk I/O for no apparent reason. With a tool such as Process Explorer you can see a rather high value appear at list item 'Interrupts'. It also tracks disk I/O for you.

If you see this, get a replacement for your hard disk and start transferring your data and/or installed software to the new one. You can also try to clone your old disk onto the new one (if the new drive is the same size or bigger than the old one) with a tool such as 'HDClone' or 'Clonezilla' You will be happy when you did. And likely enjoying your system for quite a while still.

Cuffy:
Your timing for a drive failure is better than mine!
Newegg.com newsletter today lists a Seagate 1 TB for $50??
I bought one a couple of months ago for much more.

bit:
^Some of the newer and larger HDs have enough built-in CPU power to rival entire early computers.

bit:
Update: it was my Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb 3.5 7200rpm internal hard drive that kept giving me daily BSODs, and running MalwareBytes on it made the entire OS slow down noticeably.
So yesterday I switched to my newer Western Digital 250gb 3.5 10,000rpm drive, got sparkling performance back even with MalwareBytes running and so far no BSODs.
Kind of makes me wonder if Shades might be right about the slower drive getting ready to croak; but then again, a scan with Belarch said the slower drive was healthy.

Here's an interesting article on 'short stroking' a rotary hard drive;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/short-stroking-hdd,2157-2.html

I skimmed it, but didn't quite understand it exactly.
I only need about 250GB of useful storage space on a drive for my size OS.
Is there any chance of me 'short stroking' my Western Digital 750GB 7200rpm drive, and would it make it as 'fast' or 'faster' than the 10K one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version