ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Malwarebytes self-start problem

<< < (9/11) > >>

Cuffy:
I goofed again.............
for some reason I thought you were running  Win8.1.1 so the bit about media streaming options may not apply  :-[

I went back to the beginning of the thread..........
malwarebytes and a change in video cards was when your problem started.

Malwarebytes is gone..........
seems like the video is now prime suspect   :D

bit:
I goofed again.............
for some reason I thought you were running  Win8.1.1 so the bit about media streaming options may not apply  :-[

I went back to the beginning of the thread..........
malwarebytes and a change in video cards was when your problem started.

Malwarebytes is gone..........
seems like the video is now prime suspect   :D
-Cuffy (August 10, 2014, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
One fine day about a month ago I received a spoof email from a relative saying 'click on this', so I did, went to a pointless web page, and thought it might be infected and -not- actually from my relative (turned out, it wasn't).
I ran mwb, which wanted to do shutdown and reboot.
On attempt to reboot, my old video card, an NVIDIA 6800, was DOA (dead), and my box refused to boot; nothing, not even BIOS, big zero.

I had a spare video card from a friend, a newer Nvidia GeForce GTS 450, which my computer never would 'see' before.
At that time, if I had onboard video, I suppose that it should have worked, but I don't recall actually trying to boot with no vid card, and am reluctant to risk it now.
But if there is a way to tell from this, my mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, in case anyone can figure out if it has onboard video or not.

In desperation, I tried the GTS 450 again, and now my box 'saw' it, and it's the current vid card I use.
I forget what else I did, but I also took steps to protect my box from any possible virus.

After successfully rebooting to Desktop with the new vid card, I do remember finding an option whether to tell the video software to play 'dropped video frames' (my words) or to skip over them.
I chose to play them, not skip over.
I suspect if I were to find that option, which I can't, and switch to 'skip' dropped frames, it might improve the situation.  :D

BTW, I set up my email client to block further emails from the 'spoof' source.

Cuffy:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Have you already updated the drivers?? :huh:

bit:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Have you already updated the drivers?? :huh:
-Cuffy (August 10, 2014, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, thank you, 'No new drivers are available'.  :D

Cuffy:
and that Sir,

leaves you on the way to Newegg............. Best Buy........ Home Depot????

I wouldn't waste any more time on that setup.......... you need a new video card.. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version