ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Malwarebytes self-start problem

<< < (6/11) > >>

Cuffy:
just as an aside to your conversation about failing drives.............
Almost invariably before a drive fails it runs warm to the touch, so that's my first test... feel it... if it's warm I pull it outside the case where I can check it frequently. Shades is right... if it's failing, don't fight it...... drives are too cheap nowadays. I watch the newsletters and always try to have one ahead of the machine!
Pricing drives is a mystery to me and often you can find a $20 difference for the same drive in a matter of days.  :D

bit:
Rereading this article;
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-short-stroke-your-hard-drive-for-optimal-speed-1598306074
it says;
"Connect the drive you want to short-stroke to your machine as a secondary volume and run HD Tune's Benchmark test. You'll see your hard drive's transfer rate (the blue line) creep down as the test runs.
When the test is complete, look at the graph and find a point where you see a significant drop off in transfer speed. Every hard drive is different, so look at your graph closely to identify your hard drive's sweet spot.
Once you find the sweet spot, that point is the size you want to make your main partition. So, for example, if you see the speed drop off significantly at 100 GB, you'll want to make a 100 GB main partition."

It says nothing about choosing -where- to partition the HD, just -what size- to limit it down to.
That sort of implies to me that one might possibly not even use HD Tune, but just take a very large HD, reduce the size of the partition to say 10%, or with my 750GB made over into 250GB = 33%, and automatically get improved performance, which is similar to what tomos posted, quote:

"I didnt get a chance to read any of those^ links yet, but I remember when 2TB drives came out, reading an article saying that if you made a smallish partition, say 150GB, that the speed of that partition would be a lot faster - the claim was along the lines of: the bigger the drive, the faster that partition would be. But I dont know how multiple platters fit into that."

IOW (to me), 'the bigger the drive, the denser the platter'.
Repartitioning a 1TB or 4TB drive to 200GB just limits the side-to-side movement of the read-write arm, speeding it up.
The 'magic trick' of true 'short stroking' as per the HD Tune article, is to somehow position your downsized partition on the outside of the platter, not the inside.
I'm not sure if HD Tune can do repartitioning, or if it just tells you results done with other software.

HD Tune does tell you overall results, helping you to determine if you've chosen the slower inside tracks or the faster outside tracks.
But how would you be able to intentionally choose the inside or outside of the platter? (plz excuse me if I'm using wrong terminology for 'platter'/HD disk).
I'm oversimplifying this in order to solicit any feedback.

Hmm, one way...just divide up the whole drive into multiple partitions, say 10 of them (10% per partition), then run speed tests on each partition until you find the fastest one.
Then...deactivate the other partitions, and leave the fastest one active as Primary.
That way, -any- speed testing software will tell you which partition is fastest.

BTW, an earlier version of HD Tune v255 at MajorGeeks is now shareware, whereas it is the HD Tune Pro 5-something that is $34.95.

Stoic Joker:
Hmm, one way...just divide up the whole drive into multiple partitions, say 10 of them (10% per partition), then run speed tests on each partition until you find the fastest one.-bit (August 06, 2014, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can only create 4 partitions on a hard drive, unless you switch to (old school) logical drives, or (new school) dynamic disk. DD has performance issues (e.g. overhead) of its own...and I've just never trusted the logical drive thing.

bit:
Hmm, one way...just divide up the whole drive into multiple partitions, say 10 of them (10% per partition), then run speed tests on each partition until you find the fastest one.-bit (August 06, 2014, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can only create 4 partitions on a hard drive, unless you switch to (old school) logical drives, or (new school) dynamic disk. DD has performance issues (e.g. overhead) of its own...and I've just never trusted the logical drive thing.
-Stoic Joker (August 06, 2014, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I see that.

BTW, EaseUS Partition Master v9.1.1 said there was an update...
Got ready to run the update to v10.
MalwareBytes detected OpenCandy PUP; clicked on quarantine/delete OpenCandy, installed v10.
A Desktop pop-up ad appeared several times to upgrade to 'pro'.
Uninstalled EaseUS PM v10 and ran registry checker...
Ran ADWCleaner to doublecheck for PUPs.
Reinstalled the older EaseUS PM v9.1.1.

Then I used EaseUS Partition Master v9.1.1 to create 4 equal partitions on the 750GB drive.
But then I discovered HD Tune v255 won't benchmark individual partitions, only the entire drive.
I guess I'll convert the 750GB drive back to 2 partitions, the active primary being limited to 181GB and the rest unallocated (the way it was before).

BTW, I tried to run MHDD on the drive, and there were just too many unfamiliar options to know what to choose to check the drive. Sorry.

Shades:
That are the options from the hardware that is (literally) driving your hard disk. Get familiar with them, earning hard core geek creds while doing so. You learn a lot about hard disks in general and what to look out for...far better than S.M.A.R.T.

In case you have multiple hard disks, disconnect all but the one you want to test. After booting from the CD/DVD/pendrive you need to press the F1 button and select the drive. There is only one, so you only have the select the appropriate number key and then the F4 button to start the check.

Bad places/blocks are marked and kept in a list. If there are one or two errors, you will have to write down the problem area(s) and with decent partitioning software create new partitions that do not use these problem areas. That way you are most likely to get still some life out of the drive just yet.

But if more errors are found, pull all data from the old HD to a fresh new HD and demolish the old one, use its platters as a chime or coaster and salvage the magnet(s) inside. Maybe you could even find a use for the drive's motor (which is a very precise and high quality step-motor).

Or blend it...because it is really not worth the headache.

The MHDD software can actually much more than just verify the drive...and every option that is not verify will have very serious consequences for the information on the drive. Hence the software warns you in a lot of places and it's website does the same.

Hard core geek creds don't come easy, you know... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version