ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (11/16) > >>

Dormouse:

If we're talking about serious work and serious productivity, aren't laptops fulfilling this purpose?
-dr_andus (October 27, 2014, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not for me.
Not as light, not as flexible, and assumes that all your 'writing' is entered on the keyboard.

I have a high quality, light Logitech bluetooth keyboard. I can use it with my phones & tablets depending on what I have with me.
I find that, for a lot of the time, my writing implement of choice is the stylus so the keyboard is optional, depending on what I am doing.
Screens on laptops aren't as good, unless you spend huge amounts of money.
I have a Windows (8) laptop/tablet combo. Quite light. Works well for what it is. But I don't use it very much because I'm less productive with it, and it is much less convenient to get out when I'm out and about and have just the odd 5 or 10 minutes for a bit of work.

But going down the tablet route does mean completely changing your system and the progs you use.
Unless you go Surface, and, I suspect, even with that you would be better off adapting your system and progs to your new device.

wraith808:
I really want to get a convertible.  They look so cool!  But my experience with my windows tablet sours me on that.  And I just can't get into android, even though I have one now (my nook).  Things just seem so much harder to get done.  I was thinking that my Nook might be the gateway into Android for me.  But It's turned out to be the exact opposite- I just use it for reading.

Dormouse:
And I just can't get into android, even though I have one now (my nook).  Things just seem so much harder to get done.  I was thinking that my Nook might be the gateway into Android for me.  But It's turned out to be the exact opposite- I just use it for reading.
-wraith808 (October 27, 2014, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's no getting away from the fact that getting into any new system is a lot of effort and you need to know there's a payback for it, preferably with some kind of fairly instant gratification.
In my case it was the phone and ability to organise (and I had been previously used to Palm & earlier Windows mobiles); not sure an ereader would ever have done it for me.
And then, when I was trying iOS, I could see the productivity bonuses available when I got a system sorted.

And a lot of things are harder to get done.
Though a bunch of others are much easier.
And I can carry a phone/tablet & keyboard around in my pockets which isn't an option with a laptop.
The productivity all depends on what you are doing and how you do it.

dr_andus:
And I can carry a phone/tablet & keyboard around in my pockets which isn't an option with a laptop.
The productivity all depends on what you are doing and how you do it.
-Dormouse (October 27, 2014, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, definitions of productivity will differ. I was thinking about it in the classical sense of "producing stuff per unit of time."

I also have an iPad and an iPod Touch and they're fine for capturing notes on the go. But when I need to enter into production mode (organising captured data, analysing it, and writing things up, in my case), then I make sure to take either my XP netbook or my Chromebook (if I have wifi access), so I can use my Win software.

P.S. I did experiment with a bluetooth keyboard + iPad combination. But the whole thing about propping up the iPad at the right angle, missing certain keyboard shortcuts, etc. just drove it home to me that the laptop format (albeit the Chromebook variety) has specific advantages to offer even on the go (such as balancing things on your knees, having the screen at the right angle etc.)

Deozaan:
I was thinking that my Nook might be the gateway into Android for me.  But It's turned out to be the exact opposite- I just use it for reading.-wraith808 (October 27, 2014, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is the Nook even really Android? I mean, yes, I know it's built on Android. But the Amazon Kindle devices built on Android are so customized that they're not really Android (IMO). I would never recommend an Amazon Android device to someone who was interested in getting into Android, because Amazon changes the experience so drastically that it's not really the same thing anymore.

It's a bit like saying you're interested in vampire lore, then exposing yourself to only the Twilight series and then saying you just can't get into vampires. Or something. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version