ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (10/16) > >>

fredemeister:
Here's something to consider for the future ...

https://gigaom.com/2012/08/01/heres-why-tablets-yes-tablets-will-replace-the-smartphone/

http://www.howtogeek.com/199483/tablets-arent-killing-laptops-but-smartphones-are-killing-tablets/

Can see the logic if phones get bigger - 6.5" screen almost the same as a 7" tablet.

superboyac:

https://gigaom.com/2012/08/01/heres-why-tablets-yes-tablets-will-replace-the-smartphone/

http://www.howtogeek.com/199483/tablets-arent-killing-laptops-but-smartphones-are-killing-tablets/

Can see the logic if phones get bigger - 6.5" screen almost the same as a 7" tablet.
-fredemeister (October 26, 2014, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
We'll see.  Tablets, phones, phablets....most of these words are only defining the sizes of the computing devices, and the articles and the way most people discuss these things are not terribly productive.

The Windows tablets stand alone in terms of raw power/productivity.  There is nothing else right now that is that small with the kind of power that it offers.  Android and iOS, regardless of the size of the screen, can't really do much beyond media consumption (gross exaggeration, but valid when compared to a Windows PC).

To me, all these devices are insignificant at this point.  The way people are using phones and tablets, none of these developments are a big deal (other than the Surface Pro offerings, which most people don't care about currently).  Bigger screens, faster cpu's, more memory...none of this matters to me as far as earth shattering improvements.

When Mac OSX becomes available on a touch device, now that will be big news.  When Linux goes on touch devices, that will be big news.  Windows is already on touch devices, but nobody cares mainly due to price and perhaps some ridiculously ignorant reasons otherwise.

I don't know what is holding back the full OS powered touch devices, even MS has been very cautious with rolling it out.  I personally think full OS powered tablets are a significant threat to way most businesses work, especially large ones with folks sitting at desktop computers or laptops.  What happens when a loaded Windows tablet is the same price as a desktop+monitor?  Why will people need to be in a building, or cubicle?  I mean, this has been coming for a while because of the internet.  But with the desktop computer, you are still tethered to a cubicle, with the only reason for not being at another location being "secuirty".  But with the tablets, sheesh, that will be a more difficult argument.  Make calls on your phone, do your work on your tablet...don't need buildings or any location specific needs.

Let's root for the tablet.  The politics of this will be very messy.

I can already tell that as connected as I am, this surface pro tablet has really made an impact on me, this is the future.  Once Android and Apple start running out of unimportant ideas like smartwatches and tablets/phones of varying sizes, they'll be forced to implement these more powerful ideas.  They're just sitting on it right now.

Dormouse:

-fredemeister (October 26, 2014, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Misuses statistics - says tablets still growing, PCs may have stopped falling - but tries to give the impression that tablets are flagging (iPads certainly are) and being caught by PCs in the growth stakes. May happen, but it hasn't already happened.

Says tablets can't do multiple windows. Samsung Note can. & the pen can be used similarly to a mouse. Or can just use a mouse.

There's a lot more water to float under these bridges. Usage will continue to change fast and development of devices and ODs continues apace.

Dormouse:
Android and iOS, regardless of the size of the screen, can't really do much beyond media consumption (gross exaggeration, but valid when compared to a Windows PC).-superboyac (October 26, 2014, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

To say 'gross exaggeration' is putting it mildly. I do little media consumption (and never looked for music videos  ;D ). There are heavyweight programs on PCs that don't really have an equivalent on Android or iOS. But I find that I don't use those programs for the vast majority of my 'productivity' time. And when I do, I actually want to be at my desk using my big monitors. The use of digitizer pen technology has transformed my ability to use tablets and phones for productivity (and led me to move to the Samsung Note series in both cases - Surface Pro is only a tablet and massively expensive in comparison).

But with the desktop computer, you are still tethered to a cubicle, with the only reason for not being at another location being "secuirty".  But with the tablets, sheesh, that will be a more difficult argument.  Make calls on your phone, do your work on your tablet...don't need buildings or any location specific needs.

I can already tell that as connected as I am, this surface pro tablet has really made an impact on me, this is the future. 
-superboyac (October 26, 2014, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much agree with all this.

I suspect MS would have more traction in this space if
a) it hadn't already lost the consumer end of the market
b) it was cheaper
c) W8 were less horrible
d) the phones/tablets formed a coherent whole system
e) it were easier to see that Windows was going in a desired direction

Lets all clap for Ballmer :greenclp:

dr_andus:
I don't know what is holding back the full OS powered touch devices, even MS has been very cautious with rolling it out.  I personally think full OS powered tablets are a significant threat to way most businesses work, especially large ones with folks sitting at desktop computers or laptops.  What happens when a loaded Windows tablet is the same price as a desktop+monitor?  Why will people need to be in a building, or cubicle?  I mean, this has been coming for a while because of the internet.  But with the desktop computer, you are still tethered to a cubicle, with the only reason for not being at another location being "secuirty".  But with the tablets, sheesh, that will be a more difficult argument.  Make calls on your phone, do your work on your tablet...don't need buildings or any location specific needs.

Let's root for the tablet.  The politics of this will be very messy.
-superboyac (October 26, 2014, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

If we're talking about serious work and serious productivity, aren't laptops fulfilling this purpose? The only advantage of tablets over laptops seems to be the weight. Even Chromebooks can give you a 14in screen and a full-sized keyboard (and they are a lot lighter than Win laptops), and you can use Chrome Remote Desktop to connect to your main machine and have access to your full suite of Win programs and multi-monitor setup.

Tablets are nice for lounging on the sofa, but for real work the laptop format is hard to beat (whether sitting at the table or balancing it on your lap).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version