ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (8/16) > >>

40hz:
I got a hot dog on a stick and left.
-superboyac (July 28, 2014, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still say you got the better value for what you're looking for.  :P
-wraith808 (July 28, 2014, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.

superboyac:
My dilemma is that it's still the only tablet with a nice large screen and good pen input.

I also just tried out my friend's sub-$200 lenovo tablet, it was small, maybe like 7".  It was running full Windows 7.  It was nice!  Too small for what I want though, it's like a large cell phone.

The other options:
--Other brand windows 8 tablets from lenovo and dell, primarily.  Asus/acer have some.  They are somewhat cheaper, but they don't have the power of the surface, nor the pen input.  The lenovo and dell are convertibles and they are heavy like laptops.
--The Android tablets.  I would have gotten the nexus 7, which I do like a lot.  But android will have new tablets coming out soon, so I'm waiting on that.  But really, it's not windows, and that's kind of what i want to try.  I'll still get these tablets regardless when they come out anyway, they'll be pretty cheap.  There's a 10.1 nexus out now, but it's considered "old" and again, a new one is right around the corner.

I really don't have a problem with the tablet or the price of the surface pro.  I do have a problem with this half-assed microsoft rollout of it, but isn't this to be expected now from everyone?  MS, google, comcast...aren't they all just getting us used to being treated like inferiors anyway?

Who is working on a linux tablet currently?

superboyac:
Any you guys seen this thing, the Dukepad?  $370 worth of DIY components to make a raspberry pi 10" tablet.

The DukePad is not a product, it is an open source, freely available set of plans and software for assembling your own tablet using off the shelf components. As such, the quality of the DukePad software environment is demo-quality (although we did strive to write as much real functionality as we could, the realities of demo presentations requires sacrificing time on parts of the applications that are not going to be shown, in favor of smoothing out those parts that will be shown). The code is hosted in the OpenJFX repositories under apps/experiments/DukePad. We hope to see forks of this code (GitHub, BitBucket, whatever you like best) and lots of experimentation and improvement that can be shared.
--- End quote ---

Vurbal:
If you're considering other Windows tablets, don't leave HP business offerings off the table. HP/Compaq's consumer PCs are, and have always been, of inconsistent quality. Some will be nearly identical to a business computer counterpart, and therefore almost universally rock solid and reliable. Others are, well, purely consumer offerings with the potential problems in their bells and whistles you would expect.

Had I been willing to spend $100 more than I did for my Asus, I almost certainly would have gone with a technically similar, but almost certainly higher quality, HP alternative. I'll have to look up the name again.

Keep in mind, the model I was looking at was (IIRC) quad core Atom powered like the Asus I ended up with. It also didn't have the external hard drive in the keyboard dock like the Asus, but did have twice as much RAM (4GB) and certainly a higher quality keyboard and docking mechanism. You seem to have your mind set on a desktop processor, but I can't advise strongly enough that you at least try to identify and try out the newer Atom powered units before dismissing them. They make the mobile and portable experience so much nicer, but only so long as you don't really need more pure computing speed.

Also, I believe HP has at least 2 Win8 tablets with larger displays and desktop processors, but I looked at an awful lot off tablets and did end up with specs for more tablets than my twisted little brain could reliably handle without a cheat sheet.

Deozaan:
There's a 10.1 nexus out now, but it's considered "old" and again, a new one is right around the corner.-superboyac (July 28, 2014, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Nexus 10 came out in 2012 and never got a hardware update in 2013 like the Nexus 7 did. I've been itching to buy one for about a year, but thought surely there was a new one "right around the corner" since the Nexus 7 was updated last year. AFAIK, any news of a Nexus 10 hardware update has proven to be just a rumor. :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version