ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (7/16) > >>

superboyac:
I use two different Android tablets for reading, depending on the document.  For ePub books, which can reflow and resize text, I mostly use a Nexus 7 (2013), which has 1920x1080 resolution and is very light and feels like a light paperback when held in the hand. For larger documents, like 8.5x11 pdf papers, as well as heavily illustrated books, I use a Nexus 10, which has a 2560x1600 screen resolution. Both of these tablets have magnetic covers that turn the display off when you close them, making the reading experience feel even more like a book.  Also, both the Kindle and Nook for Android apps have now improved to the point where they provide a much superior reading experience than the Windows versions, when you are reading books purchased from those sources.
-xtabber (July 23, 2014, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
This makes a lot of sense, I would probably end up doing this as well.  The only reason why I'm not going after the nexus devices is because i'm expecting the new ones to come out soon.

Vurbal:
This probably isn't really what superboyac is looking for, but for an extremely reasonable price on a used 10.1 inch Android tablet, I highly recommend Digicircle. They only give you a 30 day warranty - a no DOA guarantee basically - and you have to pay attention since they also sell as-is units, but I've bought quite a few items from them and never had a complaint. In fact I just recently bought my daughter a low end Westinghouse 32 inch TV for $130 for a graduation present and a 10.1 inch Asus Android tablet (for $120 IIRC) for her birthday.

The tablet was specifically for use with ebooks in college. I didn't buy an ebook reader app for her, but I have to second the suggestions for Montano and Moon+. Both have outstanding interfaces and are well worth the minimal cost. If we're talking just ePub format books, even the free (open source) reader available from numerous devs is still better than anything you'll find for Windows, regardless of which interface you're talking about.

superboyac:
This probably isn't really what superboyac is looking for, but for an extremely reasonable price on a used 10.1 inch Android tablet, I highly recommend Digicircle. They only give you a 30 day warranty - a no DOA guarantee basically - and you have to pay attention since they also sell as-is units, but I've bought quite a few items from them and never had a complaint. In fact I just recently bought my daughter a low end Westinghouse 32 inch TV for $130 for a graduation present and a 10.1 inch Asus Android tablet (for $120 IIRC) for her birthday.

The tablet was specifically for use with ebooks in college. I didn't buy an ebook reader app for her, but I have to second the suggestions for Montano and Moon+. Both have outstanding interfaces and are well worth the minimal cost. If we're talking just ePub format books, even the free (open source) reader available from numerous devs is still better than anything you'll find for Windows, regardless of which interface you're talking about.
-Vurbal (July 24, 2014, 05:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice!  I've bookmarked it since they have good deals, thanks.

I like Moon+ also, it's my preferred reader on Android.  I still use ezpdf because it was the only one that could do seamless vertical scrolling, I did try Montano also.  But it's been 3-4 years by now,maybe Montano's features have increased, will give it a shot.

superboyac:
So I wanted to go get the tablet this weekend.  I went to the mall, where the microsoft store is supposedly.  Here's my experience, and why microsoft basically annoyed me:
--There's not store, just a booth in the middle of the mall.  I kind of already knew this.
--I walked up to play with the tablet.  I was intentionally avoiding eye contact with the rep there, who is like breathing down my neck.  Can you stand at least 3 feet away?
--After playing with it for about 5 awkward minutes, I finally tell the guy I'm ready to buy this one.
--So he asks which model do i want?  I chose one of the i7 models.
--he says that's not available.  ok...this whole trip is now a waste of time.  it will be available 8/1.  Maybe I should have known this, but I don't understand what Microsoft's strategy here is.  Probably something to do with their inventory issues and this non-store situation.
--Says do I want to preorder?  I'm like ok.
--Then he tries to convince me to get the i5 machines, saying there isn't any reason to get i7 other than autocad or something.  He was just trying to sell the i5 because it was in stock.
--Then I ask, do I have to pick it up at this place?  He says yes.  I say, what's the point of preordering then?  I can order online and get it shipped or picked up wherever I want. 

Such a weird, unsatisfying experience.  I got a hot dog on a stick and left.

wraith808:
I got a hot dog on a stick and left.
-superboyac (July 28, 2014, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still say you got the better value for what you're looking for.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version