ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (3/16) > >>

superboyac:
those iOS music apps are pretty damn good.  Sounds like we're in the same situation with the different brands.

wraith, I'm a little confused by your post...
responsiveness:  i thought the surface tablet was VERY responsive.  What exactly was it not responsive with?  All my touches and swipes were as fast as can be with the desktop power things were very quick.

As far as skydrive and integration, that's a software issue, and doesn't seem to be a tablet issue, right?
Speaking of which, shouldn't a tablet running windows 8 PRO (not RT) have no issues with settings, apps, whatever?  These are all software issues, and I've never run into such an issue that can't be resolved by some kind of freeware or third-party tool.  Right?  Isn't that our experience with the desktop windows computer?  Unless it's a hardware issue, i can't see any real problems with using a windows tablet.

I say all this because I'm confused by complaints about the tablet that sound like they can be fixed with desktop methods.

wraith808:
those iOS music apps are pretty damn good.  Sounds like we're in the same situation with the different brands.

responsiveness:  i thought the surface tablet was VERY responsive.  What exactly was it not responsive with?  All my touches and swipes were as fast as can be with the desktop power things were very quick.

As far as skydrive and integration, that's a software issue, and doesn't seem to be a tablet issue, right?
Speaking of which, shouldn't a tablet running windows 8 PRO (not RT) have no issues with settings, apps, whatever?  These are all software issues, and I've never run into such an issue that can't be resolved by some kind of freeware or third-party tool.  Right?  Isn't that our experience with the desktop windows computer?  Unless it's a hardware issue, i can't see any real problems with using a windows tablet.

I say all this because I'm confused by complaints about the tablet that sound like they can be fixed with desktop methods.
-superboyac (July 22, 2014, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

In terms of responsiveness, don't look at it with only the interface there, or one app.  Put it under normal load.  It takes a *long* time and a *lot* of apps in the background to make my ipad slow down at all- so much so, that even with 15 apps normally backgrounded, I never see it.  Try that on the surface.  I dare you.  Especially if a background app is doing something.

The skydrive and integration is not a software issue.  It affects anything that deals with cloud access.  Which makes it an OS issue.  A couple of examples.

1. I was syncing up some things between cubby and dropbox using Otixio.  This is something that I do all the time on my iOS device and it works fine, even if it goes to sleep because if inactivity.  Not only did it crap out when it went to sleep on my venue, I ended up with duplicates, and partials.
2. I was working on a document stored on dropbox.  I got called away, and left it up.  The synced version was an older version when I accessed the same document on a different machine.  If I work on something in dropbox on iOS (or PC, truthfully) as long as its saved, it is available on the other machines.  I had the same experience with OneDrive.
3. One of the things I do regularly is read.  Comixology, Nook, etc.  If the power goes off during a transfer, the app is forever in a bad state in terms of what has synced and what has not.

One might say these are issues with the applications at hand, and they very well may be.  But they are common functions- so if it is the applications, the API shouldn't allow the disconnect (Especially in their own app).  And so the perceived problem on my part is with the platform, as it happens across apps- no matter whose fault it is.

Which brings me to another issue - power management.  The power management in the surface platform is based on desktop paradigms, in regards to sleep and such.  That just doesn't work on a mobile platform, IMO.

superboyac:
those iOS music apps are pretty damn good.  Sounds like we're in the same situation with the different brands.

responsiveness:  i thought the surface tablet was VERY responsive.  What exactly was it not responsive with?  All my touches and swipes were as fast as can be with the desktop power things were very quick.

Speaking of which, shouldn't a tablet running windows 8 PRO (not RT) have no issues with settings, apps, whatever?  These are all software issues, and I've never run into such an issue that can't be resolved by some kind of freeware or third-party tool.  Right?  Isn't that our experience with the desktop windows computer?  Unless it's a hardware issue, i can't see any real problems with using a windows tablet.

-superboyac (July 22, 2014, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

In terms of responsiveness, don't look at it with only the interface there, or one app.  Put it under normal load.  It takes a *long* time and a *lot* of apps in the background to make my ipad slow down at all- so much so, that even with 15 apps normally backgrounded, I never see it.  Try that on the surface.  I dare you.  Especially if a background app is doing something.

The skydrive and integration is not a software issue.  It affects anything that deals with cloud access.  Which makes it an OS issue.  A couple of examples.

1. I was syncing up some things between cubby and dropbox using Otixio.  This is something that I do all the time on my iOS device and it works fine, even if it goes to sleep because if inactivity.  Not only did it crap out when it went to sleep on my venue, I ended up with duplicates, and partials.
2. I was working on a document stored on dropbox.  I got called away, and left it up.  The synced version was an older version when I accessed the same document on a different machine.  If I work on something in dropbox on iOS (or PC, truthfully) as long as its saved, it is available on the other machines.  I had the same experience with OneDrive.
3. One of the things I do regularly is read.  Comixology, Nook, etc.  If the power goes off during a transfer, the app is forever in a bad state in terms of what has synced and what has not.

One might say these are issues with the applications at hand, and they very well may be.  But they are common functions- so if it is the applications, the API shouldn't allow the disconnect (Especially in their own app).  And so the perceived problem on my part is with the platform, as it happens across apps- no matter whose fault it is.

Which brings me to another issue - power management.  The power management in the surface platform is based on desktop paradigms, in regards to sleep and such.  That just doesn't work on a mobile platform, IMO.
-wraith808 (July 22, 2014, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see.  Yes, that sounds unpleasant!  Now that you mention it, I have read about users' complaints with the surface and power management...really strange stories.  It sounds like the Surface, even the SP3, has some buggy issues with the power management and wifi.

I wonder if even that can be resolved with some third party power management tools.

I have an ipad.  It's nice, but I basically stopped using it when I upgraded my phone.  I have an android tablet, same story.  I don't miss anything in my workflow by not using a tablet, except recently for one thing...reading.  So I want the SP3 basically to use as a reader.  Lol, i know it's overkill (aren't you guys used to me by now?).  

Anyway...I'm getting it this week.  8)

xtabber:
I don't miss anything in my workflow by not using a tablet, except recently for one thing...reading.  So I want the SP3 basically to use as a reader.  Lol, i know it's overkill (aren't you guys used to me by now?). 

Anyway...I'm getting it this week.  8)
-superboyac (July 22, 2014, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't call that overkill, I'd call it misapprehension.

I use my Android tablets mostly for reading and one reason I do is that the reading apps available on Android tablets are far better than anything equivalent on Windows.

There are a lot of very good reasons to get a Windows 8.1 tablet. Reading is NOT one of them.

Vurbal:
I don't miss anything in my workflow by not using a tablet, except recently for one thing...reading.  So I want the SP3 basically to use as a reader.  Lol, i know it's overkill (aren't you guys used to me by now?). 

Anyway...I'm getting it this week.  8)
-superboyac (July 22, 2014, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't call that overkill, I'd call it misapprehension.

I use my Android tablets mostly for reading and one reason I do is that the reading apps available on Android tablets are far better than anything equivalent on Windows.

There are a lot of very good reasons to get a Windows 8.1 tablet. Reading is NOT one of them.
-xtabber (July 22, 2014, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

That depends on your criteria. While I agree that the apps themselves for Android are far superior on the whole, if you're reading something that isn't well suited to a 7-8 inch screen, most Windows tablets are superior to most Android tablets. That was one of the reasons I ultimately decided to get my Transformer Book. An Android tablet with the same display size would still have been better for reading, but still a waste (for me) considering I can use it as a reasonably full featured laptop.

However, I would also consider anything bigger than around 10 inches poorly suited for reading anything unless you intend to lay it down most of the time. I also wouldn't even consider a tablet with a desktop processor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version