ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'd like to get a Windows Tablet: help me decide.

<< < (15/16) > >>

tomos:
MS is just deliberately not addressing this.  And they have more things like this.  Like their pen technology on the surface tablets has issues that take forever to be addressed.  So MS is just being annoying...saving all these fixes and features for upcoming upgrades...Windows 10, 11, etc.
-superboyac (March 06, 2015, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe it will be touted as the BIG feature for windows 10.
-superboyac (March 06, 2015, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

^I obviously have no idea what MS are up to here, but this today made me think:
I was working with a Vista machine earlier today, and it still had the '[create] New Folder' option hidden in the second level of the context menu. I dont know exactly how many years it took them to get that in the toolbar in Windows Explorer, but I think anyone that can take so long, to make something so universally required easily accessible - well, I wonder: can they have gotten much better in terms of giving us what we want?

Sure, they do it occasionally, in certain departments, but overall MS is like this sluggish snail that's maybe eventually going to give you what you want.   Maybe.

wraith808:
Sure, they do it occasionally, in certain departments, but overall MS is like this sluggish snail that's maybe eventually going to give you what you want.   Maybe.
-tomos (March 06, 2015, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL!  Even better... they're like a vegas slots machine.  You keep putting tokens in, hoping to break even.  And sometimes... sometimes you get the right combination to get a payout, just enough to keep you feeding it.  But, in the end, the house always wins.

dr_andus:
OK fine, but android has the same problem and they've figured it out.
-superboyac (March 06, 2015, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not so sure about that. Got myself my first Android tablet recently (Hudl 2), and I was shocked to see that it depleted itself in a single day in standby without me ever touching it, while my ancient iPad 1 can still hold its charge for weeks in standby (even if it's useless now for browsing).
-dr_andus (March 06, 2015, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

That could be hardware related, however.  My Nook is an android tablet, and as I said, it goes a week or more.  Not as good as my ipad, but still good enough for occasional reading.  The battery life is pointed out as one of the cons on that particular tablet in the reviews I've seen.
-wraith808 (March 06, 2015, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

You might be right about that. But when I look at the battery usage on the Hudl 2, it says Android OS is responsible for 52% of the power consumption (screen is 34%, and Wi-Fi 9%), which made me think that the OS might have something to do with it.

Anyway, otherwise I'm pretty happy with both the Hudl 2 and Android for my purposes (though I'm very much a novice user).

But, yes, it's disappointing MS can't get it together in this regard.

Innuendo:
You might be right about that. But when I look at the battery usage on the Hudl 2, it says Android OS is responsible for 52% of the power consumption (screen is 34%, and Wi-Fi 9%), which made me think that the OS might have something to do with it.
-dr_andus (March 06, 2015, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

When you look at battery usage stats on an Android device, the Android OS entry is vague and nebulous. It comprises of everything having to do with the Android core OS. However, it also comprises of any tweaks/addons your device OEM has incorporated, and even some third-party apps that may have been installed from the Play store that hook into Android system calls.

Quality of the build, components, and how big of a battery they put in that thing will also play a part in how much time a full charge will last.

Now, I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, an 8.4 inch tablet with a screen that sports a 2560x1600 resolution with a 2.3 GHz SnapDragon processor. This is kind of beefy as far as tablets go with power-hungry components, but I can let my tablet sit idle for a few days and easily have battery to play around when I finally get around to picking it up.

Full disclosure, though...I have rooted my tablet and anything that came from the factory I didn't want I've either uninstalled or disabled. I also run Greenify to hibernate apps and Amplify, an XPosed framework module, to limit wake-locks.

This tablet never leaves the house so having to charge it every few days isn't a big deal to me.

superboyac:
I remember now the term MS uses for this "feature": Connected Standby!
At the bottom here, I've posted a couple of images showing what MS is dealing with.  While I appreciate the effort, i also feel they are deliberately holding off on the better implementations of this for Windows 10 and beyond.  

Again, the whole thing here is this: on and Android/iphone, I turn the screen on, and i can immediately start browsing or using the internet.  It's because the OS handles the cellular/wifi/power management in a way suitable for mobiles.  Which is, they are running on battery power instead of being permanently plugged in, which is the WIndows way.  So now, windows needs to be able to do both...plugged in all the time, and mobile in a single OS.  No big deal, it really isn't.  Android can do permanently plugged in also...it's actually not an issue.  if everything works fluidly and instantly on mobile, then working while it's plugged in is a moot issue.

On a mobile windows device, it's not very smooth.  When you turn the screen on, well, the wifi has already been off.  So now it takes about a minute for the network wifi to get reconnected.  So you are probably waiting or pressing refresh-refresh until it's connected.  Very annoying.  But if they left the wifi on all the time, it would suck the battery.  The power management settings won't do anything.  It needs to be solved like android, in a dynamic way that the OS is managing.

So below are some images from MS presentations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version