ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Avast is vulnerable?

<< < (2/3) > >>

crabby3:
Interesting... I'll wait for a few more comments before doing anything, but I am very interested.
-Renegade (July 07, 2014, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW:  I was still in semi Panic Mode, when I started this topic and have since read about others having issues with Avast IS v9.
Some had similar issues while others saw no problems.  I didn't see any problems either.  According to Avast I was 'Protected'.  Not so.

Maybe this is version-specific and does not apply to the rest?

It wouldn't hurt to run an online scan would it?  There are many out there to choose from.

I just included the one I used so others could prove or disprove my results.
I chose Kaspersky because people here seem to like it.  And I was wondering if the paid-for scan-screen was as dorky as the free online screen.  It isn't.   ;D

crabby3:
@ Anyone  FYI 

My renewal of Avast Internet Security was in May 2014 but: "Unfortunately, we do not issue a partial and pro-rated refund." - per Avast

Shutdowns and startups are still much, much faster than when Avast IS v9 was installed.  Windows Mail still opens w/ new mail in around 5 sec.

Does not seem like the free Kaspersky scan was a false-positive.   :D

x16wda:
I also have Avast! free. I have also noticed some significant deterioration in my PC's performance over the last couple of months, and last week I also had a message from Win7 saying my antivirus is not working, even though Avast was saying everything is fine...
-dr_andus (July 07, 2014, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just for comparison, I switched over to Avast! Free for A/V and ditched MSE. I have not noticed any slowdown, slowness in email, etc. I also refuse to get any of the "Internet Security" editions of anything so maybe that is a prevention. :-)

I also get a message about A/V not working, but that is limited to when the engine is updating. If you don't get notification, maybe is the Silent Gaming mode enabled?

dr_andus:
Just for comparison, I switched over to Avast! Free for A/V and ditched MSE. I have not noticed any slowdown, slowness in email, etc.
-x16wda (July 10, 2014, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to be clear, I wasn't making any claims about causal connection between slowdown and Avast! I was just reflecting on the possibility, given the OP's suggestion. I have no evidence one way or another.

I also get a message about A/V not working, but that is limited to when the engine is updating.
-x16wda (July 10, 2014, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That might be it. I only noticed it once or twice, it's not an ongoing thing.

One thing that did break in my Avast! months ago (and I just didn't have the time to investigate) is that I used to be able to right-click on a downloaded file and scan it with Avast from the context menu (in Dopus 10). Now when I do that, it wants to scan the entire drive, and I'm not able to get it to scan just one file. Maybe I just need to reinstall it, but if I do that, I might just as well try a different A/V then...

Tuxman:
Avast Internet Security seems to be vulnerable-crabby3 (July 07, 2014, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version