ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

friend can't run progs made with .net 4.5 on his XP machine

<< < (2/3) > >>

kyrathaba:
Is it possible to install 2.0 alongside 4.5 and then tell Visual Studio Express which version to use in a given project?

Stoic Joker:
Is it possible to install 2.0 alongside 4.5 and then tell Visual Studio Express which version to use in a given project?
-kyrathaba (July 03, 2014, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know. I'd assume that 2.0 would have already snuck in there with one of the MS chronically semi-forced Windows updates. But MSVS Pro/Std never seemed to care what was installed, it just listed all the currently available version options.

Shades:
From this article/blogpost I gather that it might work to have two very different versions of .net installed on your build PC. I'm not so sure how well the "targeting" will work, though.

kyrathaba:
Aha. I already had 2.0.  I just went to the Application tab under Project Properties and specified 2.0 instead of 4.5.

Ath:
.Net 2.0, 3.x (avoid using that version btw) and 4.x can happily coexist on a single system. When installing 4.5 on a system where 4.0 already exists, it will be upgraded to 4.5. (Win Vista and later, as said above)
.Net 4.5 is fully backward compatible down to 2.0, except for the new/improved features and, hopefully, for all the bugs in these previous versions :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version