ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Youtube Subscription Channels

<< < (4/7) > >>

Deozaan:
Welcome to the internet: A place where you pay a bunch of money for a device, that requires you to pay more money for a connection, just so you can pay even more money for access to places that want you to pay money to see a bunch of stuff that you can/must/need to buy!-Stoic Joker (October 22, 2015, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a natural consequence of ISPs double dipping. Charging us for access to the internet, then charging content providers for us to access their content on the internet. If ISPs (such as Comcast) are charging content providers (such as Netflix) ransom money so that consumers can access the content at a decent speed, it's only natural and necessary that the content providers will need to figure out a way to get more money to pay the ransom. And it's not too much of a leap to get the idea that they'd pass that cost onto the consumer.

MilesAhead:
Google Play Music subscription (unlimited streaming music)
-JavaJones (October 22, 2015, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

A bit tangential but does this service allow you to download and un-drm the content?  It is not always convenient to be connect to listen to a tune.  One thing that gets old early is paying for the same tunes multiple times just because it is on a different medium(or the same medium but processed with a few more bits that the last time it was processed and rerecorded.)

JavaJones:
Miles, you *can* download (store on device) your music, at least on mobile. On desktop I don't think there's an option for that (it's browser-based). You don't own the music you store on your device though, unless you actually buy it separately (Google Play *store*). You can then listen to that music offline anytime, anywhere, and it never expires, but that's just the stuff you bought. The unlimited streaming is separate, allows you to "cache" your music (download), but it won't stick around if you cancel the subscription. Does that make sense?

- Oshyan

MilesAhead:
Does that make sense?

-JavaJones (October 23, 2015, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get it.  Thanks for the details.  I don't have a smart phone so a streaming deal like that does not work as well for me.  I still use my trusty rusty Philips MP3 Player.  I don't like to keep earbuds in for very long.  Perhaps that's why I haven't worn the player out yet.  :D

Renegade:
I don't like to keep earbuds in for very long. -MilesAhead (October 24, 2015, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of the reasons why I use over-ear headphones. They don't get painful like earbuds. The only issue is that it's a bit harder to find over-ear headphones with fabric instead of plastic for the covers. Plastic (or leather) gets hot and sweaty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version