ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is so much software cracked?

<< < (3/27) > >>

jgpaiva:
I think app made a good point, autocad really took advantage of the piracy issue. My father is a civil engeneer, and he described me what happened at the time. The truth is that there were superior products to autocad, but everyone started using autocad because everyone had the pirated version.

I think that this issue is not easy to address. I think there's no wonderful, perfect solution for this problem.
Stilll, it's always around the pricing of the product.
I'm more into games, so, i'll give that example.
I've played games for a few years now, and never bought one single original game. Why? Because i usually am broke ;)

But, about 3 years ago, i started playing counter-strike, using a friend's key, and i decided to buy a key for myself, so that i could play it against him and a bunch of other friends. I bought it because the game is very good, well stuctured, well mantained, and specially because it was cheap. It costed me 15€ at the time (it's now available for something like 8€, i think). And the truth is that it's (or at least, it was at the time), the most played online game.
Another important issue is that i could and did play it offline, and in bad servers (which take a lot of the good part of the game), through pirated solutions.

Right now, the same company that made counter-strike, valve, created a new game, half-live2. They have adopted another great system again. You can download the game in parts, and pay each part at a time. This means that you can play only the first chapter at a low price, and if you feel like you like the game, buy the second one for a few € more, and so on.
I consider this very fair to the costumer. Because this way, the user is sure that the game's quality will be mantained, and that some creativity will be introduced.

For me, it wouldn't make any sense to buy any game since, the truth is that i never ended one single game. I never found any game that appeals to me enough for me to play it to the end.

I think a good solution for programs like photoshop would be to have a "light" version that would be usable, but not powerful enough to be used by professionals.
But if we see things from another angle, that's what already happens right now. We have the pricey photoshop and the light version, "the gimp".

Hrm, afaik you won't be able to use the web-based windows update though, nor download the "genuine windows required" stuff from their site. Dunno if the various activation cracks solve that, I've got a valid key :)
-f0dder (May 29, 2006, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I also have a valid key, but what you mentioned is not quite true, the "genuine windows required" can be solved, it just takes a bit of work ;).

f0dder:
I think a good solution for programs like photoshop would be to have a "light" version that would be usable, but not powerful enough to be used by professionals.

--- End quote ---
WITHOUT a dumbed-down interface that just screams "you're a bloody retard" at you >_<, just because you can't afford the pro version.

But if we see things from another angle, that's what already happens right now. We have the pricey photoshop and the light version, "the gimp".

--- End quote ---
Not to mention paint shop pro... oh well, nevermind, bought by corel, dead product.

Hrm, afaik you won't be able to use the web-based windows update though, nor download the "genuine windows required" stuff from their site. Dunno if the various activation cracks solve that, I've got a valid key :)

--- End quote ---
I also have a valid key, but what you mentioned is not quite true, the "genuine windows required" can be solved, it just takes a bit of work ;)

--- End quote ---
Hmm, okay - better not talk more about that here. Seems a bit silly though, I think MS does have the ability to lock XP pirates out totally, but decide not to... yet.

jgpaiva:
WITHOUT a dumbed-down interface that just screams "you're a bloody retard" at you >_<, just because you can't afford the pro version.
-f0dder (May 29, 2006, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that's what i meant with "usable", since although the gimp is a good alternative, i never got along decently with it.

Hmm, okay - better not talk more about that here. Seems a bit silly though, I think MS does have the ability to lock XP pirates out totally, but decide not to... yet.
-f0dder (May 29, 2006, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, i see your point. But i didn't know about that locking pirated windows ability... some more information on that?

f0dder:
Yes, i see your point. But i didn't know about that locking pirated windows ability... some more information on that?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Well, the can obviously detect whether you have a valid key or not. Move that detection server-side instead of client-side, and you're locked out. Of course they can't stop you from plain using windows XP, but they can stop you from getting updates.

jgpaiva:
Well, the can obviously detect whether you have a valid key or not. Move that detection server-side instead of client-side, and you're locked out. Of course they can't stop you from plain using windows XP, but they can stop you from getting updates.
-f0dder (May 29, 2006, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, right, I see what you meant. I understood another thing.
It'd be quite fair if they blocked the illegal windows out there, but i wonder if it'd make any difference. Since almost everyone has winxp with a new computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version