ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is so much software cracked?

<< < (21/27) > >>

zridling:
That's odd since the Euro typically trades at 25-35% higher than the USDollar. The USDollar is so weak from our deficits that everything we buy now in the US (and abroad) is noticeably higher, including software.

Carol Haynes:
Ah but the UK don't use the Euro ...

Baseman:
??? R3000 - R5200 - why is is more expensive in SA? Surely that is the same cost just converted to your currency ??? Or are you saying that pay is so much lower in SA that the cost is disproportionately higher.

That is certainly true in the UK - we pay higher prices because of the $1 = £1 conversion rate that is often applied and US salaries are generally higher than UK salaries, and the cost of living lower. (Though I think Dubya is doing his best to make sure the US cost of living increases to EU proportions from what I have read).
-Carol Haynes (June 24, 2006, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, that's just the exchange rate, then there is the the mark up in the shops plus sales tax...That's why it's much higher...I see a product advertised in the U.S.A. for $200.00 from the vendor...Over here it is R1500 (Convered into Rands)Plus you pay Shop mark up + tax...which is a lot more than just the Dollar to Rands converted..Remember it's all about  import so it automatically become expensive for us...

Carol Haynes:
To be fair all those things apply in most countries to one extent or another. I have found Canada is particularly efficient at applying import duties (on everything) and then local sales taxes too whereas in the UK you generally don't get stung for import duty on 'gifts' (which can be useful at times) and the tax people can't be bothered applying for taxes on items under £25 - so you generally avoid import duty and VAT on DVDs etc. Software is another matter though - we end up paying $1=£1 (which is up to 40-50% hike) + import duty (~20%) + £6-9 (flat rate charge by delivery depending on who actually delivers it).

mouser:

Don’t Copy That Floppy:
Back in 1992, piracy was rampant. What could possibly stop it? An ad that you would swear was from the 80s? A horrible rap song?

--- End quote ---

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4837609090332617729

from http://www.gadgetopia.com/

I want to reiterate my position:
It's important for us all to support authors+companies financially for their work.  If people simply take what they can, and only pay/contribute when they are forced to - i do believe that we will get what we deserve, which is that only the most agressive, restrictive and paranoid companies will profit.  if we instead endeavor to act morally, and support authors who do good work, both in commercial and free software, we will ensure that they thrive and continue to do good work.  it's important that when we see someone doing good work, we stand up and support them, as best we can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version