ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Steals 22 Domain Names from NoIP

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
This sucks though. Dyn recently got rid of their free dynamic DNS service too, forcing everyone to go paid or go elsewhere.

With no-ip having long been a second most popular option, that's both of the big players in the dynamic DNS arena being down simultaneously.-SeraphimLabs (July 01, 2014, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I pay for DynDNS and it's been a good enough value that I consider it worth the price.

That said, I just learned about DuckDNS last night. Folks here may want to look into that if they need an alternative.

Renegade:
That said, I just learned about DuckDNS last night. Folks here may want to look into that if they need an alternative.
-Deozaan (July 01, 2014, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting - DuckDNS takes Dogecoin donations. :D

This sucks though. Dyn recently got rid of their free dynamic DNS service too, forcing everyone to go paid or go elsewhere.

With no-ip having long been a second most popular option, that's both of the big players in the dynamic DNS arena being down simultaneously.-SeraphimLabs (July 01, 2014, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I pay for DynDNS and it's been a good enough value that I consider it worth the price.
-Deozaan (July 01, 2014, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to use the paid No-IP years ago. It was always very good.

app103:
I used to use the paid No-IP years ago. It was always very good.
-Renegade (July 01, 2014, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to use their free service years ago, back when I used to host a website on my home PC, over 33.6k dialup. (yea, I was crazy...and still am.  :P)

Renegade:
Techdirt chimes in:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140701/15030927747/microsoft-insists-that-no-ip-outage-was-due-to-technical-error-rather-than-gross-abuse-legal-process.shtml

That's not a "technical error." That's Microsoft blatantly making an extreme claim that convinced a judge to hand over a whole bunch of domain names without any kind of due process or adversarial hearing. While Microsoft may have then had a technical error on top of that, what kicked this off was a very, very big legal error.
--- End quote ---

And this contains the ammo MS used to shoot No-IP:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140701/07252927743/dangerous-ruling-judge-lets-microsoft-seize-redirect-no-ip-domains-without-notice.shtml

(Scribd)

FatCat:
I've used the free NOIP service for years to keep track of my support clients.  I don't run web servers with it, but if I did I wouldn't run them from within my client networks.   Its fantastic for telecommuters and dynamic IPs make my clients a moving target for any would-be hacker turds.     NOIP.com still has some DDNSs available so they're still usable. There's no way I'll let Microsoft get me to abandon them.   Mark my words, Microsoft is probably positioning itself to be in the DDNs business.   4 million users being inconvenienced in a very poorly implemented attempt to stop malware is just plain shameful, to the point of being suspicious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version