ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Steals 22 Domain Names from NoIP

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
No-IP does DDNS - dynamic DNS. You can run your own server at home with it, letting you host your own web site, email, FTP, etc.

http://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=notice&utm_campaign=takedown

We want to update all our loyal customers about the service outages that many of you are experiencing today. It is not a technical issue. This morning, Microsoft served a federal court order and seized 22 of our most commonly used domains because they claimed that some of the subdomains have been abused by creators of malware.
--- End quote ---

A private company uses the courts to steal from another company.

Just how does Microsoft get to steal domain names?

Deozaan:
That's what I was wondering. How did Microsoft get the authority to seize the domains? That would be like me seizing all the fireworks at the local fireworks stands because some of them are illegal.

Stoic Joker:
Hm... There is sort of a president for this in regard to domain squatting fore the sole purpose of extortion IIRC. I actually looked into it once because of the TClock.com domain being registered (for 10 years out) but never used for anything. But I'd really like to see the list of 22 seized domain names before going there.

wraith808:
That's what I was wondering. How did Microsoft get the authority to seize the domains? That would be like me seizing all the fireworks at the local fireworks stands because some of them are illegal.
-Deozaan (July 01, 2014, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Did they have any documentation backing this up?  Seems... irregular.

Hm... There is sort of a president for this in regard to domain squatting fore the sole purpose of extortion IIRC. I actually looked into it once because of the TClock.com domain being registered (for 10 years out) but never used for anything. But I'd really like to see the list of 22 seized domain names before going there.
-Stoic Joker (July 01, 2014, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

mwb1100:
Here's Microsoft's take:

- http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/30/microsoft-takes-on-global-cybercrime-epidemic-in-tenth-malware-disruption.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version