ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Steals 22 Domain Names from NoIP

<< < (4/5) > >>

Edvard:
18 have been returned:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/07/order-restored-to-universe-as-microsoft-surrenders-confiscated-no-ip-domains/

As partial justification for the request, Microsoft lawyers argued No-IP didn't follow security best practices.
Some defenders of Microsoft's actions have claimed that the consequences of the domain confiscations were limited to administrators who should know better than to rely on dynamic DNS hosting to make their networks work.

--- End quote ---

:nono2:

Stoic Joker:
18 have been returned:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/07/order-restored-to-universe-as-microsoft-surrenders-confiscated-no-ip-domains/

As partial justification for the request, Microsoft lawyers argued No-IP didn't follow security best practices.
Some defenders of Microsoft's actions have claimed that the consequences of the domain confiscations were limited to administrators who should know better than to rely on dynamic DNS hosting to make their networks work.

--- End quote ---

-Edvard (July 03, 2014, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, that's rich ... Just because you know better, doesn't automagically grant you alternatives. shIT happens, and sometimes you just have to work with whatever is available to work with.

40hz:
Once again Microsoft tries to do some micro-spin and ends up making micro-sense.

40hz:
18 have been returned:

--- End quote ---

-Edvard (July 03, 2014, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, that's rich ... Just because you know better, doesn't automagically grant you alternatives. shIT happens, and sometimes you just have to work with whatever is available to work with.
-Stoic Joker (July 03, 2014, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

This!

Sure sounds like the old "But she wuz plainly askin' for it dressed like she wuz Yer Honner!" defense argument doesn't it?

Stoic Joker:
Years ago I wrote a program I called DNS Ping-Pong which was really just a service that sent a signed "ping" on a high range port every 30 seconds to a listening app at a one or more remote locations. This way I could keep track of and maintain access to a network as the IP address changed. One of the clients using it was taken over by a corporation that liquidated the office and hauled off all the equipment overnight. I spent the next few years tracking the server all over hell as nobody ever noticed my little service running on it...which continued to report home.

Oops... :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version