topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Notifications Ending?  (Read 8372 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Security Notifications Ending?
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Okay, granted it has been a rather long week, but this does look to be a legit Email, and I am subscribed to a list for security update notifications.

Email-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

Title: Microsoft Security Notifications
Issued: June 27, 2014

Notice to IT professionals:

As of July 1, 2014, due to changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging, Microsoft is suspending the use of email notifications that announce the following:

* Security bulletin advance notifications
* Security bulletin summaries
* New security advisories and bulletins
* Major and minor revisions to security advisories and bulletins

In lieu of email notifications, you can subscribe to one or more of the RSS feeds described on the Security TechCenter website.

For more information, or to sign up for an RSS feed, visit the Microsoft Technical Security Notifications webpage at http://technet.micro...om/security/dd252948.
Unimportant rest of Email removed-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"due to changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging" ... WTF?!?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Security Notifications Ending?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:47 PM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 05:57 PM »
http://windowsitpro....stem-security-alerts

Oh Yeah! This sounds like a good time (...Not!):
Per the new Canadian law, those that break the new convenant will face severe fines and penalties. Per Katt Stearns...
• Your business will be fined up to $10,000,000
• Your CEO, and each officer, may be fined up to $1,000,000
• Your Marketing Agency may be fined up to $10,000,000
• You, as an individual, may be fined $10,000

If you're not worried about this new law, you haven't been adequately information.

This is just impossible to not abuse. Let the witch hunt begin!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Again, short-sighted legislation without an understanding of technology.  And the fact that this will cross country boundaries... wow.

• You, as an individual, may be fined $10,000

And... more wow.  I see what they were going for but... wow.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33 AM »
"due to changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging" ... WTF?!?

Again, short-sighted legislation without an understanding of technology.  And the fact that this will cross country boundaries... wow.

Can someone remind me again why we have government? They sure as heck seem to cause a lot more problems than they solve.

But who will build the roads?

Oh, that's right...

http://mises.org/doc...f-Roads-and-Highways

People.

[Bob Slydell and Bob Porter are interviewing Tom]

Bob Slydell: What you do at Initech, is you take the specifications from the customers and you bring them down to the software engineers?

Tom Smykowski: Yes. Ye...yes. That...that's right.

Bob Porter: Well, then I just have to ask, why couldn't the customers just take them directly to the software people, huh?

Tom Smykowski: Well, I...I'll tell you why. Uh, because engineers are not good at dealing with customers.

Bob Slydell: Uh-huh. So, you physically take the specs from the customer?

Tom Smykowski: Well, no, my, my secretary does that, or the fax.

Bob Slydell: Ah.

Bob Porter: So, then you must physically bring them to the software people.

Tom Smykowski: Well...no. Yeah, I mean, sometimes.

Bob Slydell: What...what would you say you do here?

Tom Smykowski: Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!

Yeah. Something like that. But in the real world Tom clubs the customers half to death on a good day.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07 AM »
If all this is because of Canadian legislation, Canada had best watch it's step.

It's all well and good to go around acting like yet another totalitarian bully. But Canada is not politically significant enough that something can't be done about (and to) Canada. Copying the 800lb gorillas (i.e. USA, Russia, China) doesn't reflect well on Canada. Especially when they have nothing other than a BS trade agreement (which exists only because the current US administration wants it) to give their laws any teeth outside their borders.

Sad. I really used to like Canada. Spent a lot of time up there some years ago, and had nothing but the deepest respect and admiration for the country and its people. It's getting hard to feel that way about our "Northern Neighbor" these days.

Not to single out Canada. Everything I've said previously applies equally, if not more, so to the present version of the United States. :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:19 AM »
If all this is because of Canadian legislation, Canada had best watch it's step.

But, but, but, they're Canadians! Mounties! Snow! Maple syrup! Hockey! Eh?

It's all well and good to go around acting like yet another totalitarian bully. But Canada is not politically significant enough that something can't be done about (and to) Canada.

This is where I wonder just how "independent" Canada is. I think you give governments too much credit.

One word: Bilderberg.

Copying the 800lb gorillas (i.e. USA, Russia, China) doesn't reflect well on Canada.

Especially when they have nothing other than a BS trade agreement (which exists only because the current US administration wants it) to give their laws any teeth outside their borders.

Trade agreements have too much power once you look into them. They're often scary.

Sad. I really used to like Canada.

Me too. I left the place a long time ago because it was a shithole in a downward flush/spiral. But the disease is too prevalent. There is no escaping it. It's everywhere.

Spent a lot of time up there some years ago,

Me too! ;)

and had nothing but the deepest respect and admiration for the country and its people. It's getting hard to feel that way about our "Northern Neighbor" these days.

I lost any respect for Canada a very long time ago.

And to be blunt, I basically hate what most Canadians think. The vast majority are unthinking morons that follow Ottawa blindly with idiotic aphorisms about tradition and crap. They're horrible at math too, which in itself is reason to hate anyone that isn't an artist. :P

God save the Queen? Yeah... like this

I have a special spot in my heart for Canada, filled with disgust, contempt, and loathing.

Not to single out Canada. Everything I've said previously applies equally, if not more, so to the present version of the United States. :(

Heck, I love to single out Canada! I wish it would happen more!

All too often we read about the US and the evils it does.

But everyone forgets that Canada is the USA's cheap bimbo whore cheer leader.

Want some insight? Look at where Uncle Sam's unit is. Hint: It's in Ottawa's mouth. (And other parts.)

Canada even spearheads crap for the US! Because...

People will put up with crap from Canada because Canada has a reputation that it doesn't deserve. "Oh, Canadian peace keepers from the UN? Oh, they're bloody saints!!!" Yeah... whatever.

Canada can soften up targets politically because it is perceived as a "friendly" country when it's nothing more than an Anglo-American whore to be used and abused at will.

Hint: Whores are exceptionally good at separating you from your money, etc. They're professionals, and don't think they aren't. They're very good at what they do. Canada is no different.

Oh, and as a Canadian... I feel I must give the obligatory...

Sorry! ;)

I don't for a moment think that these insane Candian laws are independent in Canada -- there is outside influence here. Canada is just being used for its reputation to ram through the idea. Hopefully others will see through the BS and reject it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Aa any rate, the security bulletins have been switched to a RSS feed. Which is fine by me since I prefer to use RSS anyway.

Here's the link: http://technet.micro...ecurity/rss/bulletin

Add it to your reader.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Aa any rate, the security bulletins have been switched to a RSS feed. Which is fine by me since I prefer to use RSS anyway.

Here's the link: http://technet.micro...ecurity/rss/bulletin

Add it to your reader.

They didn't switch.  That was already an option.  RSS is a pull, not a push type service... so there's a difference.  There's of course ways around that difference... but there aren't any added functions in their offering RSS.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:23 AM »
I'm a little surprised at the reaction to this - I would have guessed that DCer's would generally be in favor of tough anti-spam laws.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:55 AM »
I'm a little surprised at the reaction to this - I would have guessed that DCer's would generally be in favor of tough anti-spam laws.

This isn't a tough anti-spam law- it's a short-sighted one, with little understanding of the tech behind it, and a very stifling effect by the unreasonable penalties.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 02:11 AM »

This isn't a tough anti-spam law- it's a short-sighted one, with little understanding of the tech behind it, and a very stifling effect by the unreasonable penalties.

This.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 06:57 AM »

Indeed, because there will always be a group - usually the one that pushed it through - that is dying to tryout a new law like this. So with a wanton desire to make a few examples ... many SMB's that have legitimate mailing lists could get vaporized just for having a system that isn't quite fully automated, contains a few of the right outdated/incorrect addresses, and had the dumb luck of sending a monthly mailing to close to the path of one of the crusaders.

This isn't about solving anything, this is all about effecting a body count to make it look like something is being done.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 07:15 AM »
^Yup! It's the old trick of looking for a reason to expel and send one camper home on the first day of summer camp just so the rest of them know "the rules" are taken very seriously at Camp Canada.

Typical of many in positions of authority. They never really grew up. And because they didn't, they just assume the rest of us didn't either.

Sad part is, none of this is going to bother real spammers. Not that reducing real spam was what this new law was about to begin with.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42 AM »

This has nothing to do with spam. It's just a bunch of retards solving a problem where there is none. Overreach is an understatement.

"Tough" in the mouths of politicians means "expensive, unnecessary, and ineffective". Nothing more.

Here's an email I receive (redacted):

We require your consent!

Dear XXX Community,

As of July 1st, 2014 new Canadian Anti-Spam legislation goes into effect. As such, XXX requires your consent in order to continue to provide you with XXX communications such as the XXX and other important announcements.

Please click here to give your consent to avoid missing out on XXX communications.

Thank you,

XXX Communications

You are receiving this email because you are a member of the XXX community.

I had already opted in.

My rant above still applies.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46 AM »
This isn't about solving anything, this is all about effecting a body count to make it look like something is being done.

+1

Sad part is, none of this is going to bother real spammers. Not that reducing real spam was what this new law was about to begin with.

+1

Ottawa is just trying to prove that it can be just as idiotic as (if not more so than) Washington DC. Typical Canadian inferiority complex.