ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WARNING: Carefully clean up broken CFL (fluorescent) lightbulbs if you have any

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
It all comes down to just one more way the quest for green technology has actually created an even bigger problem than the one it solved because it was forced into mainstream before it was mature.
-SeraphimLabs (June 26, 2014, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes.

However, we also need to remember that it was GE and others lobbying to have incandescent bulbs phased out for CFLs.

http://freedomlightbulb.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/more-on-philips-lobbying-for-ban.html

http://washingtonexaminer.com/timothy-p.-carney-how-ges-green-lobbying-is-killing-u.s.-factory-jobs/article/36662

“Government did us in,” says Dwayne Madigan, whose job will terminate when General Electric closes its factory next July.

Madigan makes a product that will soon be illegal to sell in the U.S. - a regular incandescent bulb. Two years ago, his employer, GE, lobbied in favor of the law that will outlaw the bulbs.

Madigan’s colleagues, waiting for their evening shift to begin, all know that GE is replacing the incandescents for now with compact fluorescents bulbs, which GE manufactures in China.

Last month, GE announced it will close the Winchester Bulb Plant 80 miles west of D.C. As a result, 200 men and women will lose their jobs. GE is also shuttering incandescent factories in Ohio and Kentucky, axing another 200 jobs.

GE blamed environmental regulations for the closing.
--- End quote ---

REGULATIONS THAT GE LOBBIED FOR!!!

http://homerepair.about.com/od/electricalrepair/ss/The-Incandescent-Lighting-Ban_2.htm

http://homerepair.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=homerepair&cdn=homegarden&tm=48&f=20&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=29&bt=4&bts=4&zu=http%3A//news.investors.com/Article/595538/201112211846/light-bulb-ban-was-crony-capitalism.htm

Shining A Light on Crony Capitalism
--- End quote ---

http://jolt.richmond.edu/index.php/blog-how-many-virginians-does-it-take-to-screw-up-a-light-bulb-phase-out/

etc. etc. etc.

This has NOTHING to do with "green" at the roots. This is entirely about milking you for more money.

The industry has a proven history of this kind of predatory behaviour.

The Light Bulb Conspiracy

LED technology is shaping up nicely though. I think the only remaining snag with it is getting the manufacturing costs down- and making it so manufacturing them isn't so hazardous. Of the LED based fixtures I have deployed in the past 5 years, I have been consistently impressed with the reliable and efficient output. Its just a question of does their durability meet expectations- which so far is yes.
-SeraphimLabs (June 26, 2014, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

LED is a far better option over CFLs. Still... the costs for them are very high.

Part of the LED push is that consumers have basically rejected CFLs in large enough numbers.

HOWEVER...

LEDS ARE VERY, VERY DANGEROUS!!! THEY ARE SEMI-CONDUCTORS!!! HELLO!?!

I went over this in another thread. Nobody was interested. But, I'll try again...

On the other side of the LED issue...

I do a fair amount of work in the semi-conductor industry, and LED lighting is a good part of that.

Going forward, what you need to be aware of is that LEDs ARE SEMI-CONDUCTORS. This is important.

The capabilities of lighting devices will expand well beyond "lighting" in the future. Any number of different sensors can be included with them.

Expect LED lighting to include more sensors, and to have the capability to spy on you. It will happen. Just keep your eye on the added "benefits" that they tout in their marketing.

I'm well aware that a good number of people here think that I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist. You wouldn't if you saw what I saw. I get to look at internal documents that aren't public. As an example, I recently had a document come across my desk from a large semi-conductor manufacturer talking about how they were near ready to distribute tracking chips designed to be embedded in people. This is almost not-news at all. It has been reported for many years, and the technology is near ready for large scale deployments.

LED lighting has huge potential. It can recreate what looks like sunlight. The range of light that it can replicate is astounding. The development kits for lighting device manufacturers are becoming more and more robust with lighting being able to be upgraded through simple engine replacements rather than through complete redesigns.

But... it's a Trojan horse. Make sure your horse is empty before you let it through the gates.

-Renegade (May 20, 2014, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Semi-conductors can be controlled. That means that someone can turn your lights on or off. They could even be turned into listening devices or surveillance devices.

Given what we already know is going on, ask yourself if I'm stretching things. I think you'll see that I'm not stretching in the least. Maybe not tomorrow, but it is coming.

LEDs are a Trojan horse. They will be abused.

Look at the steps taken:

* Outlaw incandescent bulbs
* Offer up toxic CFLs
* Get outrage over CFLs
* Solve problems with LEDs
That's the Hegelian dialectic in action -- Problem - Reaction - Solution. Twice! One to use the "green" agenda to outlaw incandescents, then again to bring out semi-conductor lighting.

Of course, such a thing could never happen...Oh wait, do you mean to imply with that argument that it has happened...?
-IainB (June 28, 2014, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can probably guess where I stand on all that. ;)

Malthus was an ignorant, unimaginative asshole.

Take farm production numbers:

http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2013/07/returns-and-cash-rents-given-prices.html

They're looking at under $1,000 per acre per year.

There's a farmer in Illinois doing $200,000 per acre per year. And it's no big secret. But it's a threat to Big Agra, so you will never hear about it in the news. Ever. People are using the same technique all over the world. In their backyards. In commercial operations. In North America, Australia, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America.

Greater than 200x times higher? Than modern agricultural methods? Yeah... That's why Malthus was premature in what he had to say. He didn't even see modern agricultural methods coming, much less the new techniques that are still in their infancy.

But, the freaks in power will still use Malthusian nonsense for fear-mongering amongst the populace. Just like how GE used the green agenda as we've seen above. There's always an agenda, and it's never in your favour.

Stoic Joker:
Offer up toxic CFLs-Renegade (June 28, 2014, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you mean panic people by totally blowing the "danger" out of proportion. They have what, about a 3 hour cleanup routine there? And that is assuming of course that you don't have carpeting...

Who the hell is going to shut down and evacuate entire office for 3 hours because the maintenance guy broke a bulb? Please tell me nobody is that stupid.. Or have they managed to concoct a "study" of all of the CFL related deaths over the past 50+ years ... Really where are those numbers?

This is just more hyper reactive over sanitizing to give the lawyers more ammunition for bullshit lawsuits. Sally didn't get into Harvard because somebody broke a light bulb down the hall back in third grade and I'm gonna sue!

There are enough things out there that really will get people killed without falling for yet another bullshit Ganja Madness campaign.

IainB:
^^ Mmmm...Ganja Madness...far out,man...
That Malthus guy knew SFA about hydroponics...a frend of mine get $10,000pa out of a 6' x 3½' bathroom...

Renegade:
On what I've been saying and LEDs:

Stoic Joker:
^What a classically lamed assed defense at the end of the video: Isn't that rather Orwellian? Why yes...but think of the children..

We. Are. So. Screwed..!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version