ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WARNING: Carefully clean up broken CFL (fluorescent) lightbulbs if you have any

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
^What a classically lamed assed defense at the end of the video: Isn't that rather Orwellian? Why yes...but think of the children..

We. Are. So. Screwed..!
-Stoic Joker (July 02, 2014, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup.

I do a fair amount of work in the semi-conductor industry, so here's a quick overview about how things will go...

1) Get lighting SDK & development boards for prototyping, etc.

http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/technology/intelligentLighting/tools/lighting-communications.html

The Lighting Communications Development Platform provides a universal lighting development platform for the creation of communications enabled lighting applications. The platform consists of a main board and various communications interface adapters to support in the development of DALI, DMX512A, as well as future protocols (eg. RF).

To utilize the communications platform, a minimum of (2) main or (2) prototyping boards and (2) adapters are required – connected via appropriate cabling (eg. RJ45 patch cable, DMX512A 5-pin barrel cable, or DALI 2-wire). The communication platform is compatible with commercially available DALI/DMX512A products and can be integrated into existing lighting networks during development or utlized with multiple communication platforms to simulate large lighting networks.
--- End quote ---

2) Develop prototype for Orwellian nightmare.

3) Develop specs for mass production/surveillance.

4) Profit!

5) Stick little finger in corner of mouth & laugh maniacally!

I'd encourage people to have a browse around for different kinds of sensors and to imagine what they could do with them. The barrier to entry is fairly low now. You can do this at home.

IainB:
Relevant to lighting generally. Might be useful. Very informative notes here from Michael Herf - the guy who I gather is the author of f.lux (which I have used for a while now) and the original author of Picasa: - notes on Full Spectrum lighting.

Renegade:
^^ That f.lux is fantastic! Thanks for pointing that out! :D  :Thmbsup:

IainB:
On what I've been saying and LEDs:

-Renegade (July 01, 2014, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
I hadn't seen that video before now. Pretty impressive.
I already knew about the functionality that could be (or was being) designed into LEDs, and I have been keenly awaiting the day when, for example, my lightbulbs will be able to transmit/receive my wifi router signals. I was keen on the idea ever since seeing it demonstrated on (I think it was) a TED talk.
Certainly, the future looks very bright for smart LEDs...
But then there's this, of course:
This NSA business had left me with the nagging feeling that I had seen it in a movie.
Tonight I was cataloguing one of my portable drives (all movies) using BooZet's Visual CD Version 4.0 and found the answer amongst a collection of short films. It's from YouTube: PLURALITY

-IainB (June 26, 2013, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Okay, so if we mash those last two posts together we see the already budding infrastructure of "The Grid" in the form of the local power company's existing PowerLine network. And by that I mean the new digital meters they rolled out a few years ago, about the same time that the horde of manual meter reader staff suddenly disappeared. Funny how that presumably rather large cost savings was never passed on to the consumer..

So now they use a variation on PowerLine networking to remotely monitor and collect each houses power usage to calculate their bill. Which - regarding the other post - then begs the question how hard would it realistically be for them to "contact" the LED lights within a house from this system which is directly attached to it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version