ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it

<< < (82/146) > >>

ppass:
Thanks, both points work like a charm in the new version.

Concerning the fastmove, may I suggest some improvements:

- instead of using "1", "2", ... keys, make it more intuitive with arrow keys.
Example: # +"up key" would move the window to the closest defined zone "above". For example, assuming that I use the default 2-part grid vertical template with a secondary screen on top of the primary, # +"up key" sends the window from section 1 to section 3.

If you find too difficult to physically locate grid zones relative to one an other, then could you implement a simple zone iteration. Example with window in zone1. # + "->" (right arrow) sends window to zone2 (equivalent to #+2), # + "->" pressed again sends to zone3, pressing # + "->" once more sends to zone4, etc. in a loop.

- add a second  modifyer key to span windows.
Example:  M + "->" key (M is the new modifier) would span the window horizontally.
I recall that you mention somewhere features to expand horizontally / vertically, but I do not know where to find them.

Anyway, thanks for such a nice program. I recall trying UltraMon a long time ago, but I think your program is much more fitted for normal use. The only feature I miss is the small arrow icon that UltraMon added in the title bar of windows. Pressing the "up" arrow would send the window to the above screen, etc.

jgpaiva:
Hey ppass.

About the suggestions regarding fastmove:
Currently, none of those are possible, simply because gridmove isn't aware of where the window is. I mean, it only moves the window to a grid, and doesn't keep track of which windows are in which grids. It's not impossible to implement your suggestions, only something i can't do right now.

About having the windows move to the other screen... You can make your own gird, which could have for example in monitor 1, an element that would move the window to monitor 2, and in mornitor 2 would have an element that would move to monitor 1.

ps: I have attached to this post, another version of axcrusik's grid, which allows you to, in conjuntion with being able to move windows with the numpad, move them in a way that makes more sense.
To install it, just add it to the "grids" folder of gridmove, and replace the earlier version.

Another interesting feature is that now you can add a modifier to reach for numbers higher than 10 faster. Check on the ini file, and set the key FastMoveMeta like this:

--- ---FastMoveMeta=\That will allow you to move a window to area 11 by pressing win+\ followed by 1 (instead of 11 like when you press win+g).

ppass:
gridmove isn't aware of where the window is. I mean, it only moves the window to a grid, and doesn't keep track of which windows are in which grids. -jgpaiva (December 12, 2007, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
That is fortunate, and obviously the most efficient way to program this.

It's not impossible to implement your suggestions, only something i can't do right now. -jgpaiva (December 12, 2007, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand that you can't do right now, maybe personal constraints. Anyway, finding the zone of the window should be quite straightforward. Here is my take on it:

--- ---Get the size of the active window (Top, Right, Bottom, Left)

Loop through all zones defined in the grid (start with zone1)

If (Top == GridTop) and (Right == GridRight) and (Bottom == GridBottom) and (Left == GridLeft) then ZONE_FOUND ! ! ! get out of the loop

else, go to next zone in the grid

Return to  beginning of loop

If you get-out of the loop without finding a zone, then move to zone1, else move the window to the next zone (pressed # + right arrow) or the previous zone (pressed # + left arrow) or the 1st zone (press # + down arrow) or the last zone (pressed # + up arrow).

ppass:
One question: is it possible to define one's own constants at the beginning of grid files? This would make grid manipulation more flexible

For example,

--- ---[Groups]

NumberOfGroups = 20
  Top_ratio = 10%

[1]
  GridTop    = [Monitor1Top]  + Top_ratio * ([Monitor1Bottom]-[Monitor1Top])

jgpaiva:
About detecting the window zones:
Unfortunatelly, many windows don't actually get the size they are moved to, thus, those would always be detected as not belonging to any zone and would always be moved to the first zone. Still, it should work for a fair amount of windows. I'll see if i can find time to implement this ;) (currently i'm on exams, and time is sparse :( )

About having constants.. Currently, that is something that would involve a big rewrite of the grid file reading, and i think that for the advantage it offers, there probably are more interesting features that should be added.
Maybe you could do it like this: write the file as if you had defined that constant, and use a text editor's replace to replace all of the occuorences with the value you'd like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version