ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it

<< < (71/146) > >>

biosmonkey:
I just found this program, very nice for my cluttered desktop.  But now I want to make my own grids...

I must be dense, but I don't understand the geometry of the template files.  What is the difference between MonitorxRight and MonitorxWidth, and likewise, the difference between MonitorxBottom and MonitorxHeight?

If I run dual monitors at 1600x1200, I am assuming the following:

[Monitor1Top] = 0
[Monitor1Left] = 0
[Monitor1Bottom] =1200
[Monitor1Right] =1600
[Monitor1Width] =1600
[Monitor1Height] = 1200

and the same for Monitor 2.  Is this correct?

I run the second display as an extension of the desktop.  Is there ever a situation where Monitor1 represents more than one physical monitor, or is it ALWAYS the primary display?  Same question for the dimensions...is there ever a situation where Monitor1 width would span more than the resolution of the first physical display?

jgpaiva:
The reason for existance of those variables is that those numbers are variable from computer to computer (depending on the resolution), and variable depending on your monitor setup.

Monitor1, is always the primary monitor. Thus, its Top and Left are always zero.Its Right and Bottom are always equal to Left+Width and Top+Height, respectivelly.

BUT, on monitor 2, things don't work like that. That's because Monitor2 is placed on a relative position to Monitor1.
In your case, with 2 monitors, if you have Monitor2 on the right, the Left will be 1601, or.. Monitor1Top + Monitor1Width + 1. The Top will be the same as Monitor1, 0.
If you have it on the left, its left would be -1601, because it'd be Monitor1Top - Monitor1Width -1. The Top would remain the same.

You can now imagine how things can get messy if you'd have 2 monitors with different resolutions, and not horizontally aligned (like i do ;) ).

The idea behind having grids defined like this is that you don't have to do this math, GridMove does it for you. Also, if you use those variables, you can share your grids with others, because it isn't hardcoded for your resolution.

PS: to better understand what i mean, please try doing the following procedure:
Go to "Display Properties" -> Settings tab, then, just click and drag one of the monitors. That allows you to get them on the left, on the right, on top, bottom or even "southwest", "southeast", etc

biosmonkey:
OK thanks.  I sort of figured things out after tinkering with a couple of new grids.  So it would seem that any formula involving width or height should always have the left and top variables in the formula to establish a baseline offset?

I have more questions:

1) I am having trouble with template cycling.  I created two templates, and placed them in the cycle order, but when I right click to cycle to the next one nothing happens.  The grid goes away, and it seems like gridmove deactivates.   If I then go into the template list, nothing is checked (which explains why nothing happens). 

I assumed this feature would cycle between all listed templates with each right click (and roll around). Note that both templates work if checked individually.

2) The help for that dialog (template cycling) refers to a specific list of templates that are available.  Does this mean only these can be cycled?

3) Why do the items in the list have a comma before and after the list?

jgpaiva:
OK thanks.  I sort of figured things out after tinkering with a couple of new grids.  So it would seem that any formula involving width or height should always have the left and top variables in the formula to establish a baseline offset?
-biosmonkey (July 26, 2007, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, that's exactly it.

1) I am having trouble with template cycling.  I created two templates, and placed them in the cycle order, but when I right click to cycle to the next one nothing happens.  The grid goes away, and it seems like gridmove deactivates.   If I then go into the template list, nothing is checked (which explains why nothing happens). 

I assumed this feature would cycle between all listed templates with each right click (and roll around). Note that both templates work if checked individually.

2) The help for that dialog (template cycling) refers to a specific list of templates that are available.  Does this mean only these can be cycled?
--- End quote ---
The thing is: there are 2 representations of grids: the initial (which sucks, and is hardcoded in the code and i still wasn't able to remove), and the ones in .grid files. On that dialog's default configuration, there's no example of how to include the former.
You have to do like i have in the folowing screenshot:

This means: place your custom grid on the Grids folder and then refer to it on that dialog as:
Grids/NAMEOFGRID.grid

3) Why do the items in the list have a comma before and after the list?
--- End quote ---
Well... That's sort of a workaround to get the thing to work. You don't have to worry about them, though. The first comma and the last don't need to be there. They'll reappear when you get back to that dialog, though. Just don't worry about them, it's an explicit example of how i suck at coding :P

ericslaw:
I've just downloaded this wonderful tool: GridMove.
But I use TweakUI and have 'focus follows mouse' or 'realestate driven' window focus.
It seems that GridMove moves the window with last focus before the mouse-up event,
when what I really want is the window that was in focus during the mouse-down event.

Is this an easy fix?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version