ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it

<< < (14/146) > >>

nudone:
sounds good - the number appearing in the center of the respective grid zone makes a lot of sense.

the individual grid highlight thing is ony cosmetic so it's not that important really - unless, of course, you manage to resolve the problem  :D

jgpaiva:
I've been using this for a while, and i found out that i constantly snap windows to the grid without really wanting to do that. Doesn't that happen to you?
I always forget i have the program on, and drag the windows during too much time.

I'm thinking.. Maybe i could add a transparent button to the caption of every window, that had the snapping functionality. I mean, if you dragged the window elsewhere, it'd have no effect, but if you dragged the window by that button, it'd snap the window. This would also take out the need for waiting for the grid to appear.

What do you think?

nudone:
:D hehehe.

that's why i wanted the triggers out of the way at the sides of the screen. i'm not really using it in the same manner you have been doing. i've just got that layout of the triggers at the edges like i posted above.

the transparent button dragging method you describe does sound like a nice way around the problem you mention. definately worth implementing.

i guess 'gridmove' is still in it's infancy as there are several ways of how it could work - i still hope that you can somehow implement all the different ways but allow the user to select which they want. maybe that's going too far and there should be another program like dialogmove?

jgpaiva:
Ok... Just a few conclusions:

The "button on title" idea i had before, isn't worth the trouble. It'd bring new, awful bugs, and wouldn't be the right solution.
I've rethought it, though. How about if it worked like this: when you drag a window by a place closer to the top left of the title (closer to the icon), the window is snapped. Otherwise, it's moved as always. This would also fix the problem with the maximizing windows by double-clicking the top bar not working.
I've discovered why the grid doesn't appear on the bottom of your screen, it'll be fixed on the next version (i hope ;) ).

i still hope that you can somehow implement all the different ways but allow the user to select which they want
-nudone (June 08, 2006, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's the thing, there are some methods that are incompatible between them. That's why i'm trying to figure out a "perfect" way to make it work. I'd like your opinion on what do you think are the best working methods we've found till now.

nudone:
so far i've really only used the original method i asked for - the drag to screen edge to trigger and resize window.

the new function you describe above sounds like a good idea to me - anything that provides more stable and intuitive operation is good.

as for including all the operations - i guess, all i would really like to see is the ability to work how i originally asked for - all other features i think are very good but i'd probably disable them - just to keep it simple for myself. this is mainly because i usually have windows either fully maximised or just covering the main center of my screen - my original request was to be able to simply have auto resizing windows that would cover half of the screen so that i could use my monitor as if it were two monitors - this is still really all i would be doing.

i have an additional idea, if you think it worthy of inclusion...

i'm sure you will have seen little utils that allow you to 'scale' a window so that it either 'grows' to fit the screen horizontally or vertically (but not both at the same time as this would just be maximising the window).

could it be possible to include something like this in 'gridmove' or maybe in a similar autohotkey script.

i was thinking that it could work like this:

a: you drag the bottom border of a window to the bottom edge of your screen - you pause there at the edge with your mouse left button still down and then the window automatically resizes to fit the screen vertically - but not horizontally.

b: you drag the left or right border of the window the nearest side of the screen - pause with the mouse held down, etc. - and then the window resizes to fit the screen horizontally - but not vertically.

c: of course, you drag the top border of the window to the top of the screen and then it resizes the window to fill the screen vertically but not horizontally.

i guess there are other variations that could be included but i think these functions would fit in well with how 'gridmove' currently works.

i certainly look forward to the next version. keep up the good work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version