ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: drag window to edge automatically resizes it

<< < (117/146) > >>

jgpaiva:
I honestly haven't observed that behaviour.. Maybe someone else has noticed the same problem and can provide more details.

SweVictor:
Hi

I have just started using gridmove on windows 7, I actually started using it so I could keep the right side of my 2nd monitor free for my gadgets ala vista sidebar style, which it works well for.  On using it more I actually much prefer it to the built in windows 7 aero snap, namely because it has proper multimonitor support and I can arrange windows side by side on a single monitor without using the keyboard.

The only thing missing from this program IMO is the undocking functionality windows 7 has in its own aero snap. Namely if I dock a window to the side with aero snap as soon as I undock it returns to its former size. With gridmove it stays the same size so I have to manually resize.

Is there any chance this functionality could be added? It would make this a really perfect little app if it could be done

Here's Hoping  :)
-andonevris (November 16, 2009, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi andonevris!

Yes, I can relate to your problem, I think aero snap is really neatly implemented, but it's part of the Operating System. It'd be much more difficult for GridMove to do the same, and I currently really have no way of implementing it in a reasonable time.

I'm not sure how much of GridMove you can use, but if you can edit the grid, you can edit a "Restore" grid element with the size of the whole screen. It doesn't get you the same behavior as aero snap, but it can be seen as a workaround, I think.
-jgpaiva (November 16, 2009, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi all!

I just found and downloaded this fantastic program today and of course went right to the contructing new grids part. I must say I dont really agree that the feature requested by andonevris would be a good thing... Since the possibilities are so much greater with the GridMove than with Windows 7 snap, I think the most common thing one wants to do is move the window, but retain the fixed size. To me it is good as it is!

However, I do have one (a little bit) related idea/request and one not at all related :)

#1: The concept of "smart fields" is fantastic I think, especially the possibility to maximize height and width separately. However, since you set the other values to WindowWidth and WindowHeight respectively I think you get some drawbacks... While the keyboard command works as "expected" the mouse action moves the window depending on the cursor position. I would very much like to be able to set GridTop = OldGridTop and GridBottom = OldGridBottom instead. Or maybe the possibility to omit the values or just leave them blank for "no change"? Just a thought! (and a more advanced one - when the value is omitted the underlying trigger sets that value.. I realize that's not at all easy, but it would make it very easy to specify advanced grid using columns and rows separately ;)  )

#2: Variables. Some kind of varible handling would be just wonderful! (that would actually solve #1 as well since you could specify one with the old value). The reason I would like this is when you make advanced grids with padding between the cells it gets very cumbersome to write everything all the time. Something like:

--- ---%cellTop% = [Monitor1Top] + 60 + ([Monitor1Bottom] - [Monitor1Top] - 90) /2 + 10
[GridTop] = %cellTop% + 5
[GridBottom] = %cellTop% + 20
for example would be very, very nice.

And even if nothing of that ever happens it is still a GREAT program!

Good work!
/Victor

jgpaiva:
Hi Viktor!

Regarding #1, the intention really is to have the mouse select the place where you'd like to vertically/horizontally maximize the window, if you'd like to have only vertical maximize in the current position of the window, you can just use a plugin to do it, a simple program that moves the window to the desired dimensions. If no one else dos this, I may have some time to do it this weekend, if that's you request.

Regarding #2, I do understand how useful it would be to have that feature. However, I think that would involve writing a new method for reading the .grid files, which I really have no time to do :(

SweVictor:
Hi Victor!

Regarding #1, the intention really is to have the mouse select the place where you'd like to vertically/horizontally maximize the window, if you'd like to have only vertical maximize in the current position of the window, you can just use a plugin to do it, a simple program that moves the window to the desired dimensions. If no one else dos this, I may have some time to do it this weekend, if that's you request.

Regarding #2, I do understand how useful it would be to have that feature. However, I think that would involve writing a new method for reading the .grid files, which I really have no time to do :(
-jgpaiva (January 07, 2010, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi!
Being a coder myself I certainly can relate to how much time things take and realize that including variables would be a change that might require a rethink of the basic structure.

And for #1 - A program that only maximizes a window horizontally or vertically would, I think, would  be of limited functionality - I just personally think that the current behaviour (that it follows the mouse on one axis) is quite counterintuitive since each grid is specified so strictly. What however would be more useful would be the ability to omit a value (which would then not change). For example it would be possible to make a "change" control with functions like "expand/move" one cell left, stretch to top/bottom etc. And to be clear - this is not anything i really "need", i just think it would be really nice to have it!

Finally a quick question - is it possible to add labels in some way? I know that text show up for specific functions and external programs but is it possible to just add a label?

Thanks
/Victor

jgpaiva:
I'm sorry, I really think I'm not following what you mean with #1 :(

No, currently there's no way to add labels. To be honest, though, that wouldn't be very hard to add. I'll add it to my todo list (along with this and this).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version