ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Programmers: What size monitors do you guys prefer?

<< < (10/10)

Deozaan:
How long did it take you to receive the monitor when you ordered it?  I'm seriously thinking about that last one you posted...
-wraith808 (June 05, 2014, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you're talking about the 4K Seiki TV, it was ordered on Amazon with free 2-day shipping using Amazon Prime. So it arrived very quickly.

If you're talking about something else, then there must have been a misunderstanding because the only monitor/TV I've purchased in the past couple years was that TV.

xtabber:
About a month ago, I went from a 24ā€ 1920x1080 monitor to a 27ā€ 2560x1440 monitor. 

While I greatly appreciate the larger work space, I had to increase the default Windows text size from Medium to Larger in order to be able to read much of what is on the screen.  This has made me acutely aware that support for large fonts is really inconsistent in a lot of software.  All too often, text in dialog boxes is cut off or nearly unreadable.  Iā€™d guess this problem would be worse on a 4K monitor.

skwire:
This has made me acutely aware that support for large fonts is really inconsistent in a lot of software.-xtabber (June 22, 2014, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hear hear.  As a programmer, I (and mouser) can attest to this.  In most cases, it's a pain in the ass, programmatically, to deal with.

Deozaan:
I just got my 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

I'm still trying to figure out how to position it on my small desk next to my 25" 1920x1200 monitor, but so far I'm liking it.

I was worried about ordering it off eBay from a Korean seller. Worried it might be a piece of junk, or that it would be damaged, or have tons of dead pixels, or that if I had to return it due to defectiveness it would cost an arm and a leg for shipping, etc., but the seller had a very high rating and I searched through the customer feedback for the monitor and all but one were good feedback. So I took a chance on it.

I'm happy to report that shipping was really fast (it came from Korea faster than some items I ordered from elsewhere in the USA from Amazon!) and there are no dead pixels and the image quality seems to pretty good. It's at least superior to my old monitor as far as brightness, contrast, viewing angles, etc. go.

I would definitely recommend it for a single monitor setup.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle the dual-monitor setup. To get it to fit on my desk I've turned my old monitor at an angle and pushed the new monitor a lot farther back than my old one used to be. This means that in addition to the higher resolution (which means smaller looking text) it's also far enough away from me that my myopia affects how well I can see it. This means I will likely have to wear my glasses while at my desk, and they tend to give me a headache after a while. But who knows. Maybe my next big purchase will be some LASIK surgery to fix my vision and that will no longer be an issue. If it wasn't for the vision issue, I think I'm already at a point where I like it enough to say that I would wholeheartedly recommend it in a dual-monitor setup. Heck, two of them would be pretty cool side by side!

TaoPhoenix:
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to handle the dual-monitor setup.
-Deozaan (June 24, 2014, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mostly driven by life circumstances, I have moved away from the dual monitor setup in favor of that incredibly under-rated type of software called Desktop Splitters, and my signature one I use is from that obscure one from here called TranDesk *Not a Nany* but actually from some kind of C+ test.

The point is, the big gain of a dual monitor is how you get a second field of view. But what if you an have *four* views, just a click away!? The fourth one I use for low level utilities like the Task Manager and the master archive of Stickies and a couple other things. So that leaves three. But I am bit prone lately to info overload. So what if you have seven sets of browser windows with five tabs each, and a couple other things going, then you want to start fresh? Just click to a new desktop split!

All that important stuff from tab 1 is saved, then you get a fresh slate to work on. And then when you overload that one, you get a third.

To me all it takes is one good monitor. I am currently on a (dying) 24" but it's a bit of a push that 27" could be better, sure, once you get used to it.

I am just suggesting that for fellas who don't have the money to get whole new hardware, those desktops splitters are incredibly under-rated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version