ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

58 Cognitive Biases That Screw Up Everything We Do

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:
58 Cognitive Biases That Screw Up Everything We Do (via Business Insider)

We like to think we're rational human beings.
In fact, we are prone to hundreds of proven biases that cause us to think and act irrationally, and even thinking we're rational despite evidence of irrationality in others is known as blind spot bias.

The study of how often human beings do irrational things was enough for psychologists Daniel Kahneman to win the Nobel Prize in Economics, and it opened the rapidly expanding field of behavioral economics. Similar insights are also reshaping everything from marketing to criminology.

Hoping to clue you — and ourselves — into the biases that frame our decisions, we've collected a long list of the most notable ones.

--- End quote ---

More at link.

I realized some of these... but not all.  And a very good reminder and article (with examples no less).

mouser:
Nice find.

ewemoa:
Indeed!

Thanks for sharing this :Thmbsup:

FWIW, while looking for the article on a different machine, came across:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Edvard:
Holy cats!! o_O

Reading through this list, I agree with the post title how these things "screw up everything we do".  There is literally nothing I can think of that would escape irrational bias.  I can totally recognize many of the biases I have noticed in myself and others, mostly due to the reactions I have to someone else's bias.  ;D
Usually what happens is; sometimes I don't notice my bias and just go with the flow, sometimes I see it, but just accept it because really there's no compelling reason to change, other times I instinctively react against it because I can see how irrational it is, which often causes unwanted friction with others who are (in my probably biased opinion) being irrationally biased.

So what would it be like to live with no irrational cognitive biases?  Boring?  Enlightened?  Insane?  I really wonder...

40hz:
So what would it be like to live with no irrational cognitive biases?  Boring?  Enlightened?  Insane?  I really wonder...
-Edvard (June 20, 2014, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Inhuman.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version