ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Supreme Court Invalidates Software Patent...

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
"Young man, let me remind you that this is a court of law and not a court of justice." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, U.S. Supreme Court

:tellme:
-40hz (June 20, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

and of course the classic..

In the Halls of Justice the only justice is in the halls.

Lenny Bruce

-MilesAhead (June 20, 2014, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Brilliant!

Never heard that one before. And I thought I heard them all when it came to LB, may he rest in peace. :(

wraith808:
We have a thing called Legal Aid in our state. If you're below 125% of the poverty level, they get you an attorney. For criminal charges, there's the public defender's office (not bad here actually) which often means some sort of plea deal.
--- End quote ---

But if you're not, but just don't have the money for an attorney, then you're screwed.  In some cases, showing up with an attorney can also leave you screwed, because having the money to pay an attorney means that you obviously have the money to pay, even if you actually don't.  And then there's the money that you used on the attorney that could have been used to pay.

See, this is my problem with the whole thing.  The legal system is supposed to be for the good of all.  But like so many things in the US, it's for the good of all, as long as you have money.  In my case, the only reason that I didn't end up in prison... even though, according to the laws of the land, it couldn't end up in prison as that would be debtor's prison and is outlawed, is because the assistant thought... this guy came in here with the best of intentions, had a plan, and is trying.  So, he should be rewarded for that as many people who come in there under those circumstances don't.

And as far as the deal?  It was on the other side, from the other party, who was able to get legal aid, and thus was able to get them to create a bargain behind the scenes before the farce of a trial played out.  Before legal aid entered the picture... it was cut and dried.  In fact, the judge seemed inclined to rule in my favor.  But me, having a very ... punishable ... sense of justice tried to do the right thing.  And so, they figured that they needed legal aid.

Let the circus begin.

There's just something wrong with that, no matter how much we say that "it's complicated."  Our Justice system is in love with the system rather than with justice.  And in many cases, our legal systems are anything but.  It shouldn't have to be this complicated, IMO.

wraith808:
"Young man, let me remind you that this is a court of law and not a court of justice." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, U.S. Supreme Court

:tellme:
--- End quote ---

and of course the classic..

In the Halls of Justice the only justice is in the halls.

Lenny Bruce

-MilesAhead (June 20, 2014, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Brilliant!

Never heard that one before. And I thought I heard them all when it came to LB, may he rest in peace. :(
-40hz (June 20, 2014, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

One last four-letter word concerning Lenny Bruce: Dead. At forty. That's obscene.

40hz:
There's just something wrong with that, no matter how much we say that "it's complicated."  Our Justice system is in love with the system rather than with justice.  And in many cases, our legal systems are anything but.  It shouldn't have to be this complicated, IMO.
-wraith808 (June 20, 2014, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with you 100% on all of that. Problem is - how?

Short of a revolution or a national moral awakening, And I don't see it coming down any time soon. The people that have the most to lose by changing "the system" are the very ones who control it and would need to make the changes.

"Wot a pickle!" as Gabby Hayes used to say.

Renegade:
But the simple truth is our legal system is extremely complex broken fixed.
-40hz (June 20, 2014, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

FTFY ;)

The "poverty level" moves as needed for the benefit of those controlling the system.
-Stoic Joker (June 20, 2014, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

That's called: capitalism at work.  :-\
-40hz (June 20, 2014, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

Corporations lobbying for new regulations isn't "capitalism". e.g. The taxi industry and Uber and Lyft -- that is the furthest thing from "capitalism", but pretty much par for the course. When it's illegal for children to set up a lemonade stand without a permit, that's not "capitalism". Writing laws that exclude large swaths of the population from meaningful participation in "the system" is not "capitalism".

Patent trolls only exist because the system is rigged in their favour (they can extort people because the costs of the system are higher than the extortion [in many cases]). The backlash against them is merely a recognition that the system is rigged. Creating a law doesn't make anything moral/ethical any more than calling a pig a princess makes the pig a vampiric elite -- the pig is still just a tasty morsel waiting to be served on somebody's table. :P :D NOM NOM~! But, those get confused far too often - just as the MPAA or RIAA.

Ultimately, all legal arguments are simply nonsense, and nonsense in a photo-negative evil mirror of Alice's Wonderland. They are arbitrary and contradictory. Made up silliness that people have been conned into believing. The [legal] system merely serves its masters, and certainly not the interests of regular people, as patent trolling so vividly illustrates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version