ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google's new "Hey Indies! Pay or your video won't play!" subscription service.

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
Why are people still using youtube anyway.
-SeraphimLabs (June 17, 2014, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

It just works.  And by default, other sites hook into YT.

40hz:
Why are people still using youtube anyway.
-SeraphimLabs (June 17, 2014, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

It just works.  And by default, other sites hook into YT.
-wraith808 (June 17, 2014, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes indeed. There's that.

Notice how we don't have a tag set? ;)

Deozaan:
Vimeo has its own problems. It has been known for taking down videos of "gameplay" (for videogames) simply because Vimeo considers itself a website for artistic videos and they don't consider videogames artistic enough... or something.

tomos:
I dont understand -
I thought the labels all along wanted google/YT to pay them for the privilige of having their music ?

40hz:
Vimeo has its own problems. It has been known for taking down videos of "gameplay" (for videogames) simply because Vimeo considers itself a website for artistic videos and they don't consider videogames artistic enough... or something.
-Deozaan (June 18, 2014, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh...I'm not saying Vimeo is anything wonderful. I'm just saying look how YT is now so much the default share source that it has support in a huge number of places while so many other sharing sites still don't.

I also don't have a problem with some reasonable level of curation - even if it can all too easily become a slippery slope.

In Vimeo's case, however, I think it was more motivated by a desire not to go down the same "trash submissions" route YT has gone down. Vimeo doesn't have the same market penetration as YT. So in order to lure the content creators Vimeo wants to see on their site, they need to offer something better than just free hosting. Because YT already provides that plus more eyeballs.

So offering a more selective (and dare I say it?) grown-up site with a (hopefully) more sophisticated and appreciative audience is one way to get there.

Or so it seems to me. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version