ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"English" <> "German" translations

<< < (5/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
What does the app do? I think there could be one more twist here, using the word "customizing" or related words. Possibly even "designing the environment". The example I am thinking of is back at my old job, unlike just "installing and configuring" something simple like a web browser, we changed accounting packages and procedures, so while the software itself happily sat there installed and even maybe "configured", if you change your accounting coding, you have to decide a certain type of financial data strategy.

So then when pulling data such as previously produced construction estimate files, you have to prepare the data to be imported etc.

AbteriX:
Thanks for helping!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks 40hz. I see, English is more strict here. And I am always think German and translate words one-to-one.

Bob had it well explained.

Tao, it's not one app only, I need to describe this things more often.
Now I want to describe this steps in English too. I know the words, but I am lacking grammatical, right terms for special tasks, and  idiom / locution.

Another try to explain it:
1.) Install the application (run setup.exe, extract everything to HDD, let create some bonds)
2.) Configure the app (some basic Options or Settings, adjust some things, for current user)
3.) See if the app works for the users need (wanted features, write access,...)
4.) assembly the PC, plugin cards and the device at users site
5.) Connect a device/instrument/gauge
6.) Configure the instrument (or the app for to use the device)
7.) Test the device connection and see if we can get valid data

1 - 3(4) is what I would call "Installation".
(4)5 -7 is what I had called "Commissioning" (Inbetriebnahme). You call it "Configuration".

(I hope this explanation is better suited for understanding. Don't know why I didn't think earlier on this way >:(  Sorry)

Me think, since I do already a (basic) "Configuration" on step 2, I am puzzled why I should call 4-7 Configuration too.
That's why I always look for a short, pregnant term like Inbetriebnahme/Commissioning  :huh: Do differ this both configurations.

How sounds "initial startup" for step 4-7?        :)

TaoPhoenix:

How sounds "initial startup" for step 4-7?        :)
-AbteriX (June 18, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that sounds pretty good to me, if you really want to have two terms. I can also see that because there is both the main controller app and the device app modules, you have two configuration phases.

Curt:
why invent the wheel again?  The list of German software makers is pretty long - download similar programs and install them twice; once per language.

Tuxman:
Microsoft has translation databases for common technical terms.  :)
http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Terminology.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version