ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building Another Budget Gaming PC...

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
Looks pretty darn nice to me.  As for the crossfire, i wouldn't give it a second thought.
Does he need keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers?

wraith808:
If you're really concerned about crossfire:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8869861&csid=_61&rrpl=item_page.content1&rrstr=ClickCP&rrindex=1

But I wouldn't worry about it.  At one time, I was concerned... but I never ended up getting the second video card... and by the time I upgraded, the cards were always old and better served by just getting a better card.  And there are problems with crossfire support being in games, and concerns over the increased load of the additional card.  There are upsides, but I haven't missed it.

Not sure on the size of that Antec One case, but with my video card, there was barely clearance in my Antec 900 case, and I had to remove the HDD cage fan to get mine to fit.  Another thing to keep in mind.

MilesOhToole:
I think your CPU spec is especially spot on. The i5 3570 is a great chip for the money. In fact, it's a great chip period.  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (June 17, 2014, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's great to hear.  Thanks!

I'm always curious about cases - was there a reason you chose this one (used before, or was it just the reviews/price)?-tomos
--- End quote ---

When I built my PC, Carol suggested I use the Antec 300, which has turned out to be my all-time favorite case for the price.  I was able to find the One on sale for $50 so I opted for it.

Looks pretty darn nice to me.  As for the crossfire, i wouldn't give it a second thought.
Does he need keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers?-mouser
--- End quote ---

Hey mouser!  Yes, he will still need a keyboard and mouse and speakers.  I'm thinking of one of those wireless keyboard/mice combo's if anybody can let me know if they're worth it or not.  We don't want to spend hundreds on a fancy gaming keyboard and mouse.

If you're really concerned about crossfire:
http://www.tigerdirect.co...str=ClickCP&rrindex=1

But I wouldn't worry about it.  At one time, I was concerned... but I never ended up getting the second video card... and by the time I upgraded, the cards were always old and better served by just getting a better card.  And there are problems with crossfire support being in games, and concerns over the increased load of the additional card.  There are upsides, but I haven't missed it.

Not sure on the size of that Antec One case, but with my video card, there was barely clearance in my Antec 900 case, and I had to remove the HDD cage fan to get mine to fit.  Another thing to keep in mind.-wraith808
--- End quote ---

You know, after reading your post, I started considering just buying 2 of the same GPU as yours and Crossfire them.  However, I'd have to then spend more on a 1000+ watt PSU and I don't really want to have any overheating problems or trouble with software not wanting to work right with Crossfire, so I think I'll just stick with what I've got.  I'm by brother's tech-support and I sure don't want to make my job any harder.   8)  And I can understand what you mean about upgrading later.  I'm in the same position with the PC I built for myself--my single GPU is doing just fine for me and the system just turned 2-years-old in April.

mouser:
There's nothing really "budget" about your build, except to the extent that it doesn't include an SSD -- that's the only thing that many non-budget pcs are shipping with these days.  It's definitely not needed, but the speed improvement would be noticed.  If you got one, you'd want to get one in ADDITION to your 2tb hard drive, not instead of.  Might be something worth considering.  You could get a 128gb SSD for under $100, and just put the OS files on it -- making sure to install programs on the 2tb drive.  Again, not needed, but would be noticed.

As for keyboard and mouse, I'm a bit fan of wireless mice and I wouldn't let any of the corded mouse lovers on this forum convince you to buy a corded mouse  ;)

Corded keyboard and cordless mouse (with a long-living and easy to change battery) is the way i would go.  Just make sure they have good reviews and you'll be fine.

40hz:
Corded keyboard and cordless mouse (with a long-living and easy to change battery) is the way i would go.
-mouser (June 17, 2014, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 x 100. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version