ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need help confirming IE bug

(1/3) > >>

widgewunner:
I'm developing a new javascript web application (RegexTidy) and I've run into some strange behavior on IE10. When certain text is pasted into an HTML TEXTAREA textbox, IE (when running in compatibility mode) mysteriously and randomly - (about half the time) changes the text by making a lowercase "i" to be uppercase. I've boiled the problem down to a simple test case which reproduces the problem. Here's the simple code:

--- ---<html>
<head><title>Test IE10 paste bug 20140616</title></head>
<body><h1>Test IE10 paste bug 20140616</h1>
<h2>How to reproduce the bug:</h2>
<ol> <li>Turn on compatibility mode.</li>
<li>Select the full contents of the textbox below (two lines).</li>
<li>Copy the contents of the textbox below into the Windows clipboard.</li>
<li>Delete the contents of the textbox.</li>
<li>Paste the clipboard contents back into the textbox.</li>
<li>The lowercase "i" at the end will mysteriously (and randomly) be
capitalized to "I" (about half the time).</li>
</ol>
<p><textarea>/*#!!#*/
i;</textarea></p>
</body></html>
I've posted this page to my personal website here: Test IE10 paste bug 20140616.

Can any of you guys reproduce this bug?

Note that I'm running Win7Pro and get this under IE 10.0.17 IE 10.0.9200.16921. Note also that I rarely run IE, (I'm mostly an Opera man) - but my new app must work well in all browsers, thus I must walk bravely through the valley of EYE-EEE.  :'(

Would you guys be so kind as to report your results (along with your specific Windows and IE version)?

I'm curious if this happens in IE7, 8 or 11 as well (I currently only have access to IE5.5, 6, 9 and 10).

Thanks for any help with this!

p.s. I've opened a new question on MS's website - See: IE10 BUG: clipboard data modified when pasted into TEXTAREA but don't hold out much hope of getting a good answer there.

Edit: 2014-06-16 12pm MDT Corrected the IE version number - (upon closer inspection, IE's About page shows the Update Versions to be 10.0.17).

mouser:
I tested it here.

Without compatibility mode, no trouble.
With compatibility mode enabled for the site (I added the page to the compatibility view dialog), it did indeed change the "i" to "I".

Win7, IE v 11.0.9600

skwire:
I'm curious if this happens in IE7, 8 or 11 as well (I currently only have access to IE5.5, 6, 9 and 10).-widgewunner (June 16, 2014, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does NOT happen for me using IE 11.0.9600.17126 under W7/64 Ultimate.

mouser:
So here's a clue to what's happening for me when it occurs:

First, the lowercase i is correct in the text copied TO the clipboard.
The problem occurs during paste.

Furthermore, the undo buffer shows that the pasted contents are going in correct initially (with lowercase i) and then being CHANGED, AFTER an undo point is saved, to the uppercase I.

So for example if you copy the contents, then go to the edit box and type "hello world"
and then select, all and Paste,
you see the uppercase I,
now undo, and you'll see the lowercase i,
now undo again and you'll see your "hello world".

Ath:
Tried with IE 10.0.16 (10.0.9200.16899) on Windows 7 x64 (I try to avoid using IE), and have not seen what you report even once. Used with compatibility mode enabled and disabled. It just was copied correctly without any modification for all ~50 times I tried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version