ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Patents given away? Elon Musk blazing a different sort of trail.

<< < (2/5) > >>

rgdot:
Suddenly everybody loves electric cars  ;)

Generally, not on DC, you can't believe the number of times people dismiss electric cars when I talk about it. Casual conversations or otherwise.

Stoic Joker:
So the Toyota Prius - that I dearly love ripping to shreds - has a battery pack that is so expensive to replace that most people just have the thing crushed when it dies.

Tesla OTOH comes out with a battery pack that can be replaced in 90 seconds and creates a chain of "charging stations" where you pull in get the battery swapped for a full one and are on your was in 90 seconds or less. Which defers the battery cost over time so you never get hit with a whopper of a bill (like $3,000+) for a new battery.

Now that to me is freakin' brilliant!

Stoic Joker:
Suddenly everybody loves electric cars  ;)

Generally, not on DC, you can't believe the number of times people dismiss electric cars when I talk about it. Casual conversations or otherwise.-rgdot (June 13, 2014, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Most of the electric (/hybrid) cars on the market today have performance numbers that put them in line for a fair fight with a golf cart. The Tesla has performance numbers that put it in line for a fair fight with damn near anything on the street ... I like the Tesla for that, I always have.

Stoic Joker:
Engineers >> Patents
Innovation >> Lawsuits
-wraith808 (June 13, 2014, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm confused on this one. Are you saying that is what's supposed to happen, or that it is? With all the legal-riffic nonsense in the news these days it seems to me like most things are going back and forth instead of forward. Innovation requires that information be available and shared, not bound in red tape and squirreled away in secret siloes.

wraith808:
No... I guess I confused it a bit with the two > signs. (d'oh!  It's not a bit shift)

Engineers are greater than the patents on the innovations they create... and innovations are greater than the lawsuits to maintain what you already have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version