ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Android: (Wired) File Transfers from PC

<< < (4/9) > >>

xtabber:
Wired transfers are a real PITA with most of the newer Android phones because Google does not want users to be able to access the file system from outside Android.  Wireless transfers are much easier because there are many Android file managers that allow you to browse a Windows network and transfer files in either direction.

Most of the time, I use the X-plore File Manager to transfer files to my Android devices.  

If I want to move a lot of files in or out, or back things up, I will load an ftp server on the Android device -  there are a number of them, but the one I've settled on is built into File Expert, another file manager.  Then I can access the ftp server from a PC and transfer files -- I usually use Beyond Compare for this.

brahman:
For wireless I found the easiest least hassle app to be SuperBeam. They also have a PC version at http://superbe.am

xtabber:
Another option, if the USB port on your device supports OTG (USB On The Go), is an OTG flash drive like this one.  It has a micro USB male plug in addition to the regular USB A plug and supports USB 3.0 on the PC side.  You can also buy OTG cables for less than $10 that allow you to plug any USB flash drive into the Android device.

You will also need an app like Stickmount (requires root) or Nexus Media Importer to read from the flash drive on the Android side.

ewemoa:
Another option, if the USB port on your device supports OTG (USB On The Go), is an OTG flash drive like this one.  It has a micro USB male plug in addition to the regular USB A plug and supports USB 3.0 on the PC side.  You can also buy OTG cables for less than $10 that allow you to plug any USB flash drive into the Android device.
-xtabber (June 13, 2014, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use this approach sometimes -- on some devices root isn't needed to get this to work.

Am also a FileExpert user :)

kunkel321:
@CyberDiva:  Thanks for the WebDav tip.  I actually do remember reading about that in the Pimlical FAQs.  The office location I've had for the last two years doesn't have wifi  >:( so WebDav was not an option.  Looks like I'm getting moved to a more "modern" space, with wifi, though.  So in the Fall I might revisit WebDav.

Also I should add to my previous post--in case any Kindle Fire HD users read this--I actually rooted my device once.  Rooting voids the one-year warranty, so it is not advised.  I had assumed that this would allow Java to detect the KFHD, so I did it anyway, but it does NOT!  Rooting a Kindle makes no difference in this regard.  However rooting does give you access to the Google Play store which is pretty cool.  I was rooted for four or five months, then Amazon updated the Kindle OS, and the root got wiped.  I haven't gotten around to re-rooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version