ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Android: (Wired) File Transfers from PC

(1/9) > >>

ewemoa:
Any favorite methods for transferring files from PCs?

For one-offs "adb push" seems good enough.  For some more complicated transfers am trying out QtADB (0.8.1) with some success [1].

[1] Was helped tremendously via following comment:

1) When launched, QtADB displayed application window then crashed. Cause of problem is missing network resource, which raise SIGABRT in classes/updateapp.cpp, line 57 (function UpdateApp::gotWWW). Probably because QtADB version updates currently is not available. Perhaps QtADB 2.0 should check for resouce availability too and shouldn’t crash only because update server is missing. To avoid this problem in 0.8.1, automatic updates must be switched off. Open QtADB.conf (Linux users must look in /home//.config/Bracia) and set checkForUpdatesOnStart to “false” as displayed below:
checkForUpdatesOnStart=false

--- End quote ---

via Janis Baumanis' comment at:

http://qtadb.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/qtadb-0-8-1-fix/

Deozaan:
Can't you just mount the Android device as a USB drive and transfer the files using your File Manager of choice?

ewemoa:
That works for some phones, but not all.  IIUC, many phones now implement MTP, and unfortunately, I haven't had good results with that.

CWuestefeld:
For some reason, connecting an Android phone (this has happened with three different ones) gives me a BSOD on my desktop (even after upgrading XP to Win7). So I've relied on WiFi transfer, having SMB shares on my desktop and pulling with the phone using ES File Explorer, which has worked out pretty well.

Until my new phone and KitKat. Now, file explorer apps are useless, because Android only lets the app that "owns" a directory write to it. I hate KitKat.

The only solutions I've found was to make my desktop computer an FTP server. The built-in explorer program still has write authority, and includes an FTP client. Alternately, open up the phone, remove the SD card, and write directly to that. Then put the SD card back in the phone.

Did I mention how much I hate KitKat?

Shades:
@CWuestefeld:
There is always Windows phone...  ;D

Until now (and my needs have been simple) it is very easy to copy files/photos/music etc. to and from my Lumia 520 from a Windows PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version