ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Antilock-breaking (ABS) vs Stabilty Control (ESP) vs Traction Control Video

<< < (5/10) > >>

mouser:
 :up:

SeraphimLabs:
This is interesting! One never expected that one would be able to get unqualified driving tips/advice from DC Forums.
I just imagined a scenario where a Boeing 787Dreamliner was touching down on a nice dry runway and braking, and the captain saying to the co-pilot "Ease up on the brakes there Frank, I can feel the ABS kicking in a bit too much."

I wonder if that sort of scenario would ever be likely to occur?
(ABS was originally developed for aeronautical systems.)
-IainB (June 11, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's a very real chance that it actually does kick the ABS now that I think about it. When an aircraft first contacts the ground, there isn't a lot of weight on the wheels yet because the wings are still producing a lot of lift. The wheels will skid from low traction until the airspeed drops enough to transfer the weight, and a lot of runways have black streaks on them from repeated skids of incoming aircraft.

The difference is aircraft have far more frequent maintenance intervals, and have a much higher safety factor in the design because of how heavily regulated aircraft are. Having a brake line simply burst on an aircraft I should hope is an unheard-of event because of maintenance procedures dictating replacement of such components at set time periods.

On the other hand a car often isn't in the best of shape, and people tend to not realize stuff is about to break until it actually does. In the case of a brake line, your normal stop where you have plenty of distance and shouldn't rely on the automatic systems has now become an emergency stop because the loss of braking pressure means you don't have the stopping power you are used to. ABS won't help that situation at all, the automation frequently will throw a fault condition and shut down.

Having drivers in the habit of driving without relying on the automation means that when the automation fails unexpectedly, you still can remain in control of the vehicle and bring it to a safe stop assuming that the loss of stopping power doesn't make you run out of stopping distance or you are able to avoid the hazard and give yourself additional space.

Of course if the automation is working properly, it is hard to beat- and you almost certainly won't doing it by hand. But in the case of ABS, you should stay in the habit of not relying on it. Let it do its job during the emergencies it was designed to deal with, under more relaxed conditions the person driving should be making the decisions not the vehicle they are operating.

And yes. I think most of the debate over ABS was people agreeing that in an emergency stop scenario the ABS will beat the manual control every time, but under relaxed conditions it is better from a maintenance and driving habits standpoint to back off and retain manual control to reduce component wear.

IainB:
Very droll.

Stoic Joker:
After all, we certainly don't want to leave people with the impression that their ABS braking system is so smart that they can just slam on the brakes whenever they want and ABS will save them from danger.-mouser (June 11, 2014, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that is precisely the problem point that I was going after. Sales monkeys, and many of the tech showcase bits make it sound like magic, giving people the dangerously false impression that they can just wait for the last minute clamp down the binders and the computer will do the rest. The problem here is that the behavior accelerates wear on many components causing them to "drift" out of the spec's that the computers calculations are dependent on.

I'm almost 50 now. So I've had 35 years (actually over) of both performance driving and being a mechanic to test and observe how and when things fail. I tend to break very hard and very late in corners...because I can. I have the years of necessary experience to pull it off safely. The thing that scares my is the number of people in traffic I see that trigger the ABS just because they have once again blasted up to a corner or stop light in the rain way too fast thinking that the magical car stoppie thing will once again save their silly ass. Because someday it wont, if they keep doing that.

As SeraphimLabs mentioned the ABS is simply cycling to release the drivers excess breaking pressure. So depending on pad material, when done repeatedly this will either cause the pads to glaze so they lose grip, or groove the rotors (disks if you like) making it very difficult for the system to release breaking pressure. I've fried brakes both ways racing with different pads, and either malady can get quite interesting really fast. Another fun issue is that with the excess buildup of break dust it can frequently obscure the wheel speed sensors ability to "see" the wheel lock ... Guess what happens then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@SeraphimLabs - Are you psychic or something? If your posts got any closer to what is going through my head I'd have to start getting paranoid!

;) :D

TaoPhoenix:
@SeraphimLabs - Are you psychic or something? If your posts got any closer to what is going through my head I'd have to start getting paranoid!
;) :D
-Stoic Joker (June 11, 2014, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I invited him to DC - because he has a lot to offer!
:up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version