ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Antilock-breaking (ABS) vs Stabilty Control (ESP) vs Traction Control Video

<< < (10/10)

Stoic Joker:
ABS attempts to stop a skid -- sometimes, in some conditions, releasing & reapplying the brakes *may* help, by essentially giving the tires a 2nd, 3rd etc. chance to grab.-mikiem (October 26, 2014, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

...Unless the "skid" (acceleration or deceleration) has gone past 45 degrees to the direction of travel...then you're stuck riding-it-out to avoid high-siding.

Skids can be intentional, sometimes directed, sometimes controlled, and skids to some extend can often be countered. Control is not always completely lost, though it requires the driver not panic, & it obviously helps of they've prepared themselves beforehand, e.g. by practicing to know their vehicle's characteristics & limits.
-mikiem (October 26, 2014, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 - While I've never really grocked drifting (e.g. how much is too much/I'm getting old), I am notorious for flat-tracking a full dressed Harley around corners. Practice, practice, know beats the hell out of guess, hope, and die any day of the week. :D

IainB:
Thought this was interesting and probably relevant here:
How To Stop On Snow With ABS Brakes

Target:
easy...

Antilock-breaking (ABS) vs Stabilty Control (ESP) vs Traction Control Video

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version